Monday, February 22, 2010

Joan Schulze 40-year Retrospective 02-22-10

I am not very satisfied with my new Canon camera. Most of the pictures I took on this trip were fuzzy and not the sharp, focused images I expected. Could it be a camera operator error? I will have to read further in the book to see if I can do better.
This is a fuzzy picture of Joan Schulze and her artistic granddaughter at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles. Yesterday I went to the opening event for this great exhibit of Joan's work over the last four decades. If you are anywhere near San Jose between now and May 9th, you should go and enjoy the results of her searching vision. There is also a small exhibit of Navajo rugs by a mother and daughter Begay - beautiful. The opening was well attended and Joan's PPoint presentation was fascinating to me - her first workspace was the laundry room of their home. Sound familiar to some of you? Now she has a studio in San Francisco with a wide view of the city. She enjoys experimenting with new and unusual materials and processes which make her quilts very different and surprising. I did pick up a price list and will think about a purchase when I go back in two weeks. Joan has two websites: http://www.joan-of-arts.com/ http://www.joan-schulze.com
It rained most of the hour it took to drive from San Juan Bautista to San Jose and, apparently, most of the time I was inside the museum. Still sprinkling periodically on the way home and throughout the night. This picture, taken on Hwy 156 just west of SJB, shows that the wild mustard is indeed starting to bloom and today I even saw half a dozen clumps of California poppies with a few early blossoms. I drove home today and will post some pictures tomorrow - it was a gorgeous day of blue sky; small white, fluffy clouds; bright green grass; miles of almond trees in bloom. And light traffic most of the way. Great trip.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: