Friday, March 12, 2010

Ruth McDowell class Asilomar 5th/final day 03-12-10

The last day of Empty Spools Session III - everything must be packed up and out of the rooms (both sleeping and class) by Noon. It is always a rush. When we finally were pulling out of the parking lot the rain was starting and the wind was high. I drove along Sunset Road and stopped for some pictures of the surf. It was high tide so there was only a little beach and a few brave souls out walking. Quite cold in the wind.

The last morning is critique where everyone can speak about their work and their experience during the week. Ruth makes comments about some of the problems the students faced and overcame.

"Asiatic Lily" Mary Jacobs
Ruth McDowell helping to hold up the design board. Mary has begun hand piecing her design and will continue as she travels by train home to Washington state.
"Geranium" Michelle Wood
Michelle has used only one clump of flowers and two petals to simplify the design for her quilt.

"Helliconia" Patty Estey
The complex piecing on this looks as though it will be well worth the effort. Colors are vivid against a varied pieced background.

"Oak Tree" Martha Calahane
She wanted the bumpy, reaching limbs of the live oak which resulted in a project that covered two design boards! Anything smaller would have required very laborious machine piecing. The background represents a sunset.
I am at Mary's tonight and, though I had a nap for an hour or so this afternoon, I am very tired. I have pictures of more projects in the class, but they will have to wait another post.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Vivika said...

So I thought I missed it - what are you working on in the class? Post a photo!

Loret said...

Del, Thank you for another wonderful week with Ruth and Asilomar. I'm almost packed and I'll be on my way tomorrow.

Unknown said...

Oh Marvelous! How I wish I were there. Thanks so much.

Corky said...

Have a safe trip home-and a big "HI" to Mary.

June said...

Nice photos. Drive carefully. Rest well.