Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ruth McDowell Asilomar class more pictures 03-13-10

A gorgeous sunshine filled day! And I was only outside for about ten minutes of Vitamin C. I was busy doing laundry, repacking, sorting and stacking quilts, visiting with Mary and Sylvia, and catching up with e-mail backup. I'm glad you all seemed to enjoy the Ruth McDowell class. I hope you will consider taking her class sometime in the future, it is a great boost to one's creativity. She'll be at Empty Spools again next year this same time, in Kalispell, Montana during June, and teaching classes in NW Massachusetts in July and September. http://www.ruthbmcdowell.com/

Here is a detail of Patty Estey's "Helliconia" which Blogger refused to post last night. Her idea of using the black/white stripe to show the serrations on the petals is wonderful.

"Sunken Boat" Ann Shaw This is so unlike any of Ann's work that I have ever seen some of you will doubt my word, but it is indeed hers. A verrrry difficult subject requiring subtle fabric choices. It works very well, doesn't it? Ann was one of four "remedials" in the class.

"Lotus Tiles" Linda Lawrence This piece is to replicate in fabric the ceramic tiles in the bathroom of a vacation home. It is made to fit in a small space. Linda is another "remedial' student. As am I!

"Poppy" Alice Denardo The bright red Oriental Poppy against the soft violet, blue, pink background is very striking.

"Pheasant" Lynn Czaban Lynn Lynn found some great fabrics for her pheasant, including the violet tail.

"Indian Pipes" Bonnie Keller Doing the background first is sometimes the most effective way to determine what fabrics are needed for the central motif. Indian Pipes are generally white and have a translucent quality. Finding the right fabrics will be a challenge.
"Delicate Arch" Jacque Thompson All the pieces are backed with their freezer paper templates and pinned in place on the paper pattern. Jacque will sew it all together when she gets home to Utah. The blue, blue sky is very much like the sky one sees in the red rock country

This is a view of Jacque's fabric suitcase - very minimal and neat and tidy.

There were 21 students in the class. Having lost my creative mojo I did not actually do a project but worked on two preliminary designs - only on paper. Two students requested that we not photograph their work and I failed to photograph one that I liked a lot - Gail Sheirbon's "Hibiscus"! Which is strange because Gail was sitting back-to-back with me. I hope someone in the class who did photograph her work will send me a copy. Sorry, Gail.
Posted by Picasa


2 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

I have enjoyed everything that you have shown Del! Thank you! I do wish you some good sleep and more energy!!

Rayna said...

doing this would give me hives, but I admire people who can -- and the results are quite stunning! Thanks for sharing all of this, Del.
don't wear yourself out.