Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ruth McDowell class 4th day Asilomar 03-11-10

Here is another spectacular Asilomar Beach sunset.

Some of the students have requested that their work not be photographed. I don't understand why, but it is their choice. I may ask tomorrow what their reasoning is. I have not posted any images that include their work. You can see what progress was made today if you look back at the pictures from the previous days. I always find this so astonishing because I am so poky and have a hard time just jumping in and DOING IT.

"Venice Bridge" by Claire Mitchell There was only paper and fabric being auditioned yesterday.

"Broken Wheel" - Kathy Calahane There was no fabric up yesterday.


"Little Squirt" - Debbie Van Fossen

By the end of today Debbie had all the fabrics with their freezer paper templates on the backs pinned up on her board and was sewing like the wind! I think this is one of the most successful pieces in the class.

"Cactus in Rock Fissure" - Constance Clover

The picture I posted yesterday of Ruth working the classroom shows this design in the background with no fabric pinned up. Constance has achieved amazing dimension in her cactus, hasn't she?


"Orange Lilies" - Penny Youngflesh

Penny has this all sewn together except for the pieces across the bottom. You can see the white pin heads on the pieces yet to be sewn.

"Delicate Arch" - Jacque Thompson

In yesterday's image Jacque had only the sky fabric pinned up. Here she has all of her pieces cut and pinned - ready to start sewing. Amazing. She told me before the class started that she just liked to get going and keep going. She certainly did that.

"Fluffy Dog" - Patti Voyles
She did the face first with very complicated and small pieces. Then she started the background so that she could adjust the value of the dog's body/tail to the value of the background.

"Rose" - Cynthia Wheeler
This is the design that Ruth worked out in both straight line and curved line piecing. Lovely, subtle color selection.
I have not done a project! Somewhere along the way I lost my creative mojo and am just stumbling along. I did a preliminary design for a cherry tree branch with yellow lichen, but have not enlarged it. Overdoing everything for the past few months has caught up with me and I am just so very tired. I observed a lot and listened to Ruth's lectures, comments and help for other students and I hope to do the piece after I am home again. Well, after I have slept for a week or so!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

I took a class from Ruth once. I was the slowest person in the class. Anita was the other slow person. She has gone on to become a well-known quilt book author. It was exhausting. I loved the whole experience.

Corky said...

I'm enjoying watching the class progress. Sorry you've lost your muse this week, but I'm sure you're enjoying your week anyway.

Quilt Crazy said...

Del, it was wonderful meeting you. Thanks for the nice comment about Little Squirt. I can't wait to get him finished.