Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Talking about food 03-23-10



These handsome immature seagulls (they turn from grey to white as they mature) were waiting for me to feed him/her something as I sat on a bench admiring the awesomeness of Monterey Bay. It was a lovely breather after the two weeks of Empty Spools and before driving to Mary's to get packed up to leave on Sunday for the drive home. One is not supposed to feed any wild animals or wild birds and I didn't have anything to feed them anyway.

Regardless of what my fellow students thought, I thought the food at Asilomar was dreadful. They served pork for either lunch or dinner almost every day and I can't eat it. Bacon and ham don't bother me, but pork is definitely off my diet. They also listed Red Snapper as the fish for dinner one night in both weeks, but it turned out to be Tilapia. Cheaper, I'm sure. The one thing they always do well are salads - greens so fresh they might have been picked the minute before we ate them. I think, however, I will in the future bring my own light oil/vinegar dressing. They make a very heavy dressing that kills the fresh greens. I used to rely on choosing the vegetarian entree if I couldn't eat the meat, but one night I tried it and it turned out to be a baked onion stuffed with a concoction containing some sort of grain, dried cranberries (I think), maybe some veggies and served with cooked red cabbage. Yuck. I went hungry. I managed to eat the eggs in whatever form they served for breakfast.There is now a do-it-yourself toast bar using their six slice toaster - which would be fine if there were not another 100+ people trying to use the same toaster. I ate out most evenings - Pepper's, Tillie Gortz, The Red House, TJoe's salad and I tried An Choi (Asian Contemporary Cuisine) http://www.anchoirestaurant.com/

This is their "prawns in tamarind sauce" which is served on a bed of noodles, mushrooms and onions. There were four prawns and the meal was good if not spectacular.

The chairs don't look comfortable, but they were, and the view was typical Pacific Grove.

Since I am talking about food, here is a look at 9 foods that reportedly make one's skin stay fresh/young:http://tinyurl.com/yzf5x8c
I have made some changes, regarding Caryl Bryer Fallert, to yesterday's post about Empty Spools.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Suzanne Kistler said...

I received a blog award this week, and after much consideration decided to accept it, along with the request to pass it along to 12 other bloggers who "inspire others with positivity and creativity." You are on my list. Congratulations! Your Sunshine Award is waiting for you on my blog. Thank you for brightening my days. http://faithquilter.blogspot.com

And I totally agree about the food at Asilomar. I've had the same opinion 3 of the 4 years I've gone.

Rayna said...

Well, there goes any thought I ever had about teaching there. Bad food? I can put up with a lot of things but that isn't one of them!
Thanks for the review.

Quiltedtime said...

Hmmmmmm......Maybe by the time I retire and have the time to go to Empty Spools, the food selections will be better. I thought I was the only other one who had problems with pork.