Tuesday, March 30, 2010

What a difference a day makes... 03-30-10

After three days of clear skies and the temp around 85F today was overcast and only about 63F with rain expected tomorrow night and Thursday. Perhaps our last little rain of the season (which ends July 1st, I believe). The Department of Water and Power (DWP) in Los Angeles is considering financial rewards for people who tear out their grass lawns and put in something that is less thirsty. It is something I have thought about doing since we moved into this house in 1986. I sometimes drive around looking at front yards and thinking what could be done to ours.
The dark clouds above and the light ones below that block the view of the hills are rather colorful. This is basically the view from my kitchen window and the slider where I sew, but I went outside for the pictures so there is more foreground than I usually see. Where you can see a flat end to the road in the distance is a major north/south four- lane road. When the trees are bare I can see, just to the left, the hospital where I had my "procedure" last Friday. Of course, I have to go around by the roads which amounts to about seven blocks - so close and yet so far. On the right in the foreground of the picture is the little park where Corky and I sometimes walk.

Every evening when it is not raining these three ladies bring their dogs to run and play. They each have two dogs and they are very careful to pick up after them.

While I was standing there taking pictures there were several lesser goldfinches feeding on the sow thistles gone to seed just over the short wall at the back of the patio. I do love to watch them, but I suppose the neighbors hate me for letting the thistles go to seed - they replant themselves everywhere. This is the best image I could capture and it makes me determine to get out the book on my new Canon camera to see how I can improve my pictures.
If my head wasn't so soggy I might do it this evening, but this head cold has my brain dulled down to almost stop, so it will have to wait for another day. I finished the Surfside QGuild newsletter last evening and Nancy Ota posted it today. http://tinyurl.com/y96unyy With three pages of templates for the Block-A-Month it comes to 19 pages. Isn't it wonderful that we can post in online instead of mailing it - with the cover page it would be ten double sided pages and that would cost a lot to mail to our members since we are not large enough to apply for bulk mail. When I trained on computers in the late 60s I didn't dream that they would become a very large and important part of my everyday life. Life is change. Whether we like it or not!! I like it - I like it!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rayna said...

Well - thank goodness you were able to finish the newsletter! Computers you trained on in the late '60s were a whole different animal. I've been on them since the late '70s and for an old person, am totally comfortable with them - LOL.

Your skies are nothing compared to the dismal gray we have...although today it is not (yet) raining. Wettest year in NJ since the 19th century. Floods all over the place. Off to read your newsletter.

P.S. - I understand wanting to get away from that block I sent you. You asked for it!
Can't wait to see what you do with it.
xo