Sunday, April 25, 2010

Natalya Aikens quilt from TCQC on blog 04-25-10

Here is another of the quilts I purchased at the SAQA 2009 online auction.
"Piterskoie Okno" (St. Pete Window 15) Natalya Aikens 2009 12" x 12"
Vintage handkerchief, vintage lace, dryer sheets, plastic, paper, synthetic organza. Printed, painted, free-hand
machine embroidered and hand stitched.
I have left a bit of the wall surface showing since the silk edging is so soft it is impossible to flatten it and make the piece square.
Natalya uses a variety of surface design techniques and products in her work. I especially appreciate the delicate hand stitching on this piece and the lovely fine cotton handkerchief she has used as a background. Notice that she has inserted a piece of filet lace (Guipure d"Art, net darning) in the right panes as if there were a curtain hanging there. I suspect she has also used some Luminiere paint in the left side panes.
Natalya has a DVD demonstrating some of her techniques. I believe it was made in 2009, but nobody seems to date DVDs (one of my pet peeves) so it could have been made at any time. Her fondness for window images is apparent in the DVD and on her blog. http://artbynatalya.blogspot.com/
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

I am honored that you have chosen this piece for your collection. thank you for your kind words and all the links.

Unknown said...

Wow! This is just gorgeous! Thanks for showing us...but then I'm often filled with happiness that you have the pieces and share them with us!

Great work Natalya, and equally good work for showing us and sharing links.

Rosemary@semo.net said...

Lovely piece, Natalya. Good choice, Del.

Gerrie said...

Gaaa! I love this. I have two pieces by Natalya in my collection. She is one of my favorite artists.