Friday, April 30, 2010

Who reads my blog? 04-29-10

I didn't start 'monitoring' my blog until several years after I starting writing DELQUILTS (and others) and now I use both Site Meter and Stat Counter. They are just two of the services that I have come across and I don't know how they compare with other such services. I like Site Meter, but go to Stat Counter because they have great maps showing where 'hits' came from. Usually the numbers on both sites are within two or three numbers of each other. Anyone have ideas, thoughts or other services they like better than these two?
I don't use the statistics for anything - I just look and amuse myself thinking of why someone at some far distant point on this earth would find anything interesting in my blog. And where are some of these people? The map above shows a "hit" off the coast of Africa, but I couldn't find an island that looked to be in that position. Do ships or private boats have their own ISP? Is it like a hidden bank account on a foreign island?
This is the 'explanation' that pinpoints where the hit originated. As you see, this one was in February, but whoever it is has looked at my blog several times since then. Of course, I don't check every single day, so I don't know how often they might be online and blog reading.
I do know who some of my readers are, of course. They post comments or send e-mails directly to me. And sometimes I know it is a friend that lives in a particular small town. How many readers would I get from Mt. Vernon, WA? Except my friend Mabel who lives there. And some are bloggers whose posts I read and they, in turn, reciprocate. I do find this blogging world simply fascinating. I like pictures of where people live and places that they go and I become attached to their families and their pets. One friend says "Get a life!", but I enjoy both my real and my online life. So far, I haven't gotten them mixed up.


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rayna said...

Finally,catching up on your blog! Too busy/tired to read blogs last week and tomorrow, up in the air again. I love YOUR road trips because I can take them vicariously and enjoy the scenery.

BTW - they newsletter looks great! What a job you've done with it!
xo