Monday, May 10, 2010

Framed roses from TCQC 05-09-10

"A Bowl of Roses" Wilda Northrup 2005 (unframed 21" square)

I am a great admirer of Wilda's work and added this piece to the Collection without considering the display and storage problems posed by a framed work. It is not quilted, but simply hand appliqued, matted and framed. I have retouched the picture above to try to remove the light reflections on the glass and you can see the places I have reworked where they bleed into the mat. Using non-reflective glass diminishes the clarity of whatever it covers, so I don't think that is a solution. Because it is framed I will never show this piece in one of the programs I do.

Wilda cuts the shapes from print fabric, turns the edge as she appliques and doesn't worry about multiple layers - she doesn't cut out behind each appliqued piece. I am still astonished that she also doesn't worry that little bits of the background of the printed fabrics show around the edges. I never see them until I get very close to the work and then I think of all the broiderie pers that I have done where I slaved over turning under any indication of the original background. A waste of time and effort I now think. This image is also slightly retouched, but I haven't tried to eliminate all the reflections (on the top center edge and the left center edge).

A watercolor artist and a quiltmaker, Wilda lives on the Monterey Peninsula and has occasional exhibits of her quilts and her watercolors at Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove. Her "Sunflowers" quilt is also part of TCQC and was on my blog in 2008. http://delquilts.blogspot.com/search/label/Wilda%20Northrop

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

What a wonderful piece! I have never been much of a fan of Broderie Perse, but this piece has such a free and spontaneous feel. It really sings!