Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Ideal ground cover? 05-10-10

Around this street tree in front of Sherman Gardens I found the ideal ground cover! Only I don't know what it is. I've spent some hours looking through pictures of ground covers - to no avail. Do any of you super gardeners know the name?
The trees are small and not very dense, so the ground cover must get a lot of sun.

The underside of the leaves is grey/white and there are small composite yellow flowers.

We also saw it growing in this front yard patio area where it is walked on.

And also under this small tree on the other side of the walkway in the same garden. This side, obviously, doesn't receive a lot of traffic. Corona del Mar is right on the coast, so year round it is at least ten degrees cooler than where I live - also much more humid. Any ideas?

05-13-10 Linda Morand (California) identified this plant as Dymondia margretae or "Silver Carpet". Thanks, Linda, I will see if I can grow it in my walkway which has both shade and hot sun.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Linda Morand said...

I think it's Dymondia margretae or "Silver Carpet"

http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=536