Saturday, May 15, 2010

Displaying quilts 05-15-10

I cannot hang very many quilts in my house at one time - about four medium to large works and about the same number of small pieces. SAQA contacted me to ask if I would share the ways I display the 12" X 12" quilts from the auction. At my house I hang two or three vertically. But at Corky's houses in Long Beach and Havasu I can hang six in a row horizontally.

Hanging Left to right: Chris Hansen, Linda Colsh, Kristen LeFlamme, Natalya Aikens, Linda Colsh, Joan Sowada. This is an upstairs wall that faces onto the opening of the two story living room, but it is hard to get back very far because of the short wall (or is it a banister) that protects the drop into the first floor. The office is also open so I was standing by one of the desks to take the picture.


It is hard to describe, so here is an image taken from the other end of that wall and I am standing with my back to the windows that look out on Marine Stadium. You can see Corky's "boat" bed at the end of the wall just before the six steps down to the bedroom level.

There are many windows in this house, so, except for this wall, there are no walls to hang large quilts. However, there is no way to stand back to look at larger quilts hung here. I do hang some medium, horizontal quilts here - everyone loves to look at Ruth McDowell's "Fort Morrison Jerseys".

I spent the afternoon and evening with Corky today, so I am all stocked up with his unconditional loving. We went to California Pizza Kitchen for drive-up/take-out and also filled up with gas at the local Arco station. He loves these little trips where he stares at everyone and everything. He has always been a happy traveler.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rayna said...

I have no walls for quilts, either - except where there are skylights or clerestory windows. I have a wall in my sewing room of small pieces I have bought or otherwise collected, and that's it. Nonetheless, since my larger pieces are all my own work I don't have to look at them, do I?