Monday, May 17, 2010

Visions Art Quilt Gallery and Julia 05-17-10

I drove down to San Diego today to attend a program by Julia Zgliniec, Certified Appraiser, at the Visions Art Quilt Gallery. I haven't been down there for at least a year and had forgotten what a buzz that place gives me. It is such a great space and Beth Smith, the new Director, and all the volunteers were very helpful and friendly.

Julie Zgliniec, Appraiser, at the door into the Gallery. Julia is the appraiser I use for the TCQC, so we are well acquainted after all the years she has been looking at the Collection. After ten years it is past time to have some of the quilts reappraised - the market changes and the values change either up (hopefully) or down. She had a lot of information to share about the process of appraising and the audience asked intelligent questions that seem to be of interest to everyone. She does do programs for quilt guilds - for more information check: http://www.quilthistory.com/teachers/zgliniec.htm
The current exhibit includes quilts by three quiltmakers with very different styles and techniques: Valerie Goodwin, Katherine K. Allen, and Kent Williams. I am most familiar with Valerie's work since one of her very early pieces is in the TCQC - nothing like what she is creating today. But I still enjoy it and can see a continuity in the work she is showing at the Gallery.
Displayed in the entrance 'hall' are the entries in the "Exotic Flowers" the 12" x 12" challenge done by Quilt Visions members . The quality of the work is quite good and there is a great range of styles and motifs. This is a fund raiser for the Gallery, so if you should visit be sure to take your check book or your credit card - there are some real treasures available.
The picture of Julia I took today, but the picture of the exterior and the view of the gorgeous front desk were taken on previous visits.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Louise in SW Saskatchewan said...

The next time I go to Long Beach to visit my dd and sil, I must plan a trip to San Diego to see the Visions Gallery - last time I went to the San Diego Museum of Art and saw the Georgia O'Keefe exhibits but not time for much else.