Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Jan Hirth quilt 07-20-09

At the June meeting of the new daytime guild, Surfside Quilters Guild, Jan Hirth was our speaker. Jan has been a quilting teacher in Orange County (CA) for a number of years and her classes have been very popular - her reputation as a teacher is excellent. As you can see by this quilt which she displayed during her presentation she is a gifted needlewoman . The true color is in the center of the quilt - caused, I suppose, by my flash centered there, but all of the background is the same brilliant red.

Here is a detail of one block, part of the surrounding blocks and part of the border. If you click on the image it will enlarge so you can see her perfect applique technique.

And an even closer look. I don't think this image is focused, but I have been on the computer so long today that I can't really tell. I'll check it out in the morning and correct if necessary.
One of Jan's quilts was in an early post of images at the Beach Cities Show.




Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Corky said...

Beautiful quilt!

Christine Thresh said...

My, my, my I do love applique -- beautiful applique. She is indeed a master.

dee said...

so very vibrant & beautiful. What amazing talent.

Loretta said...

Magnificent!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

That is one beautiful quilt. Not many would think to use red as a background fabric.