Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What I am going to read. 06-02-10

Out and about today, doing errands, shopping and dropping over to LBeach to give the Poodle Prince some loving and also to deliver a few things I forgot on Sunday. I made a vow that I wouldn't let so much time go by between haircuts, so I am trying to make it a monthly event - today was the day.
Then I went to Borders because I'm pretty much out of exciting things to read and I needed to find the Book Group selection "A Reliable Wife" by Robert Goolrick. His previous book was a memoir, but he says in an interview in the back of this book that this story is somewhat autobiographical. I've read that interview and the first nine pages of Chapter One and will have to reserve judgement, but somehow I think this is going to be a downer. The other book suggested for the BGroup was "Sarah's Key" by Tatiana de Rosnay - the first chapter, titled "Paris, July 1942", starts this fictional story (based on an actual event) off with the arrest and deportation of some 10,000 Jews, citizens of Paris. This sounds like another downer. To offset this greyness I also bought a Sandra Brown novel "Envy" - as far as I can tell Sandra started out as a romance writer and moved into mystery. I like to read her books when I need something a little less depressing with, generally, a more positive outlook at the end of the book. "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" is the third and last book of a series by the late Stieg Larsson, who apparently wrote only the three books. I greatly enjoyed his early two novels, but several friends were repulsed. And there are some repulsive events. However, I find his writing gripping and his characters very real - even if they drink coffee at the drop of a hat and in all possible situations (maybe that is a true reflection of Swedish life!). I'm going to save this book for last, the anticipation should help keep the Black Beast at bay for week or so. Of course, if Stieg kills everyone off in the end, the Beast will have the last laugh on me.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

Hmmmm.....you still go to bookstores?
I am such a voracious reader that I can't afford that luxury and have taken to ordering from a place online called Better World Books. Most of them are gently used REALLY CHEAP books and the money is all donated to charities. All the books offered have terrific, thorough reviews, so you are pretty sure what you are getting when you order. I just ordered a box of 10 books for $30 (shipping is free) in preparation for my summer vacation. I've already cheated though, and started reading one. I just couldn't wait.....

Kay

Deborah Boschert said...

I must tell you that Sarah's Key is painful from start to finish. It's a great story and I was interested the whole time. I learned about many events from WWII of which I was not aware. It provoked some very interesting discussion in my book group, but I don't think any of us really "enjoyed" it. It's interesting to think about why we really choose books. Entertainment? Education? Provocation? Escape?

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I loved The Girl With the Dragon Tatoo, and plan to take The Girl Who Played with Fire with me to the beach next weekend. I started off hating the first novel, but it got very thrilling as the plot progressed. I also was in a book club for many years, but I resented spending my time reading a book that did not interest me...and when we had book club, they often did not even talk about the book! So I have largely quit going, and just read the emails about what they are reading. Lately I have been reading three different series by Robert B. Parker, and enjoying all tremendously. The Spenser detective novels, another detective named Jesse Stone, and the western series on which the movie Appaloosa was based. Here is another series I love: the Nancy Turner series about a frontier woman in Arizona: These Is My Words, Sarah's Quilt, and The Star Garden. I discovered Sarah's Quilt in the library based on the title. These are very compelling!