Saturday, June 5, 2010

Feverfew 06-05-10


I don't have a garden - I have a yard where nothing much grows but unkillable plants. When we moved into this house I redid the front with the help of Floyd's strong back and we drew up plans for the sides and back yards. But once he was diagnosised with a brain tumor I devoted most of my time and energy to dealing with that. After he died in 1990 I lost interest in most things, especially a garden. So, twenty years later, I have neglected roses, a lawn composed of weeds which the" mow and blow" guy keeps under control once a week and clumps of coreopsis and feverfew - neither of which seem to be 'killable'. I planted the feverfew in the hope that I cold use it as a treatment for the terrific headaches I used to have. I couldn't use it - the smell alone was enough to deter me - although I dried some and prepared it as a tea according to the instructions in a herbal remedy book. I couldn't get it down my throat. However, I do love the flowers - they are so 'happy' and just continue to grow and reseed no matter how much neglect they suffer. And the same applies to coreopsis which I planted in a row between the roses and the lawn - at this time of year they are glorious and sometimes people stop to ask me what they are. Sunshine on a stem, something that is always welcome during SCalifornia's June gloom weather.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

dee said...

Your garden sounds a lot like mine.
Thanks Del, for the inspiration and the fun things you sent to me. I got a real chuckle out of the last one. Love your sense of humor.

BarbR said...

Thanks for the info on unkillable flowers. My gardening days are ebbing and I need something to keep it,at least, looking bright and cheery.I am ever hopeful that I might get involved again. BarbR =!=

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I don't think I knew that you had been through this terrible loss. You are a strong woman. Hugs, Jeanne