Thursday, August 12, 2010

Another Learning Curve 08-12-10

A new computer and now a new cell phone. I made this same double 'curve' about six years ago, you would think I had learned my lesson, eh? I've written about the computer problems I have been suffering, so the new computer is understandable. But I haven't said anything about the trouble I've had keeping my cell charged. I could, of course, buy a new battery and it may yet come to that.

For those not familiar with the very latest technology from Verizon, this is the up-to-date Android. The Poodle Parents both bought Droids in May and they are already out-of-date. Mine is the very latest model. . . until next month, I suppose. The PParents frequently change phones, so I thought they would be able to help me learn a new system. She went with me to deal with the slick dudes at the Verizon store and she was a big help - I would probably have dissolved into tears without her intervention.

The problem is that they live in Long Beach and I live in Placentia (about 30 miles). I finally figured out how to call out, but ran into a problem trying to hang-up. The first three people I called received a "Del echo" when I accidentally redialed their numbers when trying to get back to the contacts list. Worse than that, I had deciphered the method to add a number to my list and successfully added it. Later when I was trying to call someone else, the phone dialed that number and I was connected with the woman's husband - very difficult to explain to him what the heck I was up to. At least he recognized my name. I thought I would send the wife an e-mail explaining what was going on, but gave up because as I wrote I began to sound as if I had escaped from a padded cell. So, Sharon, if you read this you'll know that your husband was telling the truth about the crazy lady who couldn't control her cell phone.

The dude at Verizon told me there were lessons available on the website to help people (he didn't say ssllooooww people) learn to use their Droid. There is an instruction book in the box - about 3"square and 1/4" thick, containing both an English and a Spanish version. For my eyesight a very strong magnifying glass is necessary and even then it is a strain. I've looked at the website a bit to find a lesson or two, however I have been busy doing other things. Like having dental surgery today to put in the post for my imitation tooth. This is such a long process that I'm surprised that so many people opt to have the procedure. Tooth pulled in February, impressions taken in June, post inserted in August and the new tooth goes in mid-November - all to the tune of about $3000. I am supposed to recline a lot today with an ice pack on my face and repeat this tomorrow. I've done fairly well, but couldn't resist the call of my computer. Fortunately, I am not alone - Corky is here until Tuesday morning. He knows something is different and actually laid next to me on the bed and snuggled. Corky is a very special guy, but under normal circumstances he is not a cuddly guy. So, it is a comfort to know that he cares!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

dee said...

Hope you are feeling much better soon. Good to have a little friend to lift your spirits. I'm interested in your tooth info since I am looking at the same thing in the coming year. EEEEkkkk, that pricey but all dental/medical stuff is so it's not surprising.
Being the techniphobe that I am has got to end now. I found myself in the hospital with Roger this week and no cell phone-50 miles from home..not a happy situation. They chuckle at you when you ask for a pay phone. Off to the store I go. I should be able to provide some amusement to the store guys who try to teach me to use one. How culd I have let this happen?

Christine Thresh said...

My cell phone is a simple, no frills one. I only use it when I am out of the house. I have not even set up the voice message thing.
I only pay $25 every three months for the service. I have over $200 in credit. I will never use that. I gave Robert's cell phone away through FreeCycle.
I guess I don't get out much.
Best wishes with your tooth implant.