Sunday, August 8, 2010

Computer generations 08-08-10

Jesse, the computer guru, was here most of the day setting up my new Dell laptop computer and moving files from both old laptops to the new. The only place to do it, with enough surface space, electrical connections, light, etc., is in the family room/breakfast room.
The table with both ends extended is just large enough to accommodate three laptops, one auxiliary monitor, two printers, two mouses, a mouse pad and an external backup.

The auxiliary monitor goes with the 2006 Dell laptop whose screen rarely lights up. In front of the old Dell is the defunct Fujitsu (what a piece of junk - new in June 2009). Lit up in front is the new Dell and then there are the old Epson (which I will still use) and the new Epson complete with FAX, memory card slot and who knows what else.

This Dell has a "softer" screen which seems to be easier on my ageing eyes. After I took the photos and went to download them I discovered that there is no memory card slot on this new Dell and only three USB ports - all occupied. Guess I will have to get something that provides extra slots. It's always something, eh?
No quilt from TCQC until next Sunday. I need to get the files reorganized and maybe take some pictures of quilts I have had for years, but have never taken digital pictures.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Gerrie said...

you need a usb bus station!! I had to get one for all my peripherals.

Suzanne Kistler said...

That tabletop looks like it belongs at our house! There's a laptop, desktop, or computer parts in very room but the bathroom...At least it was techno-free the last time I looked... ;)

Mary Leakey said...

Took me weeks to find my memory card slot. It's almost invisable! Mary

Rayna said...

My mac doesn't have a memory card slot either. And only two usb ports, next to one another instead of above and below. That means two adjacent items can't be plugged in unless one of them is a usb plug. Hence, the port with 4 slots (still not enough) attached to the usb plug. Ack. You'll figure it out.