Thursday, September 2, 2010

And even more fabric! 09-02-10

As we all expected I did have to buy some fabric at Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove - not a surprise. Gail Abeloe has a good eye for stocking just what I want. I don't know if it is my eyes, my camera, the time of day or my computer, but the colors are all off in these pictures. The black and white fabrics are really black and white or black and pale cream - not blue. And this top fabric is more red than pink. I'm sorry I couldn't be more accurate. http://www.backporchfabrics.com/
Surfside Quilters Guild is holding November Fest on November 9th - it is our major fund raiser as we do not have a quilt show or opportunity quilt. I am going to donate a basket to the silent auction and will call it "Simply Red". So, I am collecting red things for my red basket and here are two half yard cuts to add to the stack of fabrics I have so far. Gail Abeloe donated several items for my basket. I don't know what all I will gather in the next two months, but I am really going to work hard at it.

One of these days I will have to make a black and white quilt - well, several will be required to even make a dent in my black and white fabric collection. Here are four more striking pieces.

This is a one yard cut of a Japanese fabric designed by Yasuko Saito. It is divided vertically into black on white and white on black. If I use it for a border I will probably regret not buying a longer piece. You can see more Saito fabrics at: http://www.qejapan.com/catSaito.html

The following three pictures are all of the same black-on-white yardage! The designer is Yoshiko Jinzenji and it was printed in Japan by Yuwa. I don't understand what the designer had in mind and I also don't have an idea for using it. It is just a fascinating new look in quilting cottons. You can read about Yoshiko at her website: http://www.yoshikoquilt.com/english/menu.html

The fold of the fabric is on the top of this first picture.

The fold is at the bottom in this image.

With selvedge showing.


This is a gorgeous rayon fabric for a 'camp shirt'. It is a soft as baby skin.
I may need to find a professional seamstress - it has been many years since I made any clothing.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

June said...

ummm, delicious black and white fabrics. I love the Japanese ones.

I have a "red" committment for a year from now. Perhaps I should have you bid on that red basket you are putting together. I actually hand-stitched some red embroidery thread today, in the interests of starting soon. The last commitment for a year later was panic city. This time I'm hoping to do better.

Corky said...

I sure wish the 2 quilt stores by me would carry cool fabrics like this. Traditional is the word around here. Lots of reproductions and the like.

I'll just drool over yours.

Rayna said...

Love those black and white graphics - yummy! And I don't even BUY fabrics any more (much).