Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Birthday Purses and Hats 09-01-10

Thanks for all the Happy Birthday wishes. I have finally reached an age when I see each year as a gift - being 72 is not to be sneezed at! It was a lovely day - weather wise - and a lovely day spent with my friend Mary. She has been slaving away in her studio making me a purse.
This was her first fabric choice because I am such a fan of bird images.

But she made some slight error in her sewing and decided that it wasn't good enough.

Then she made this one - which is perfect and has colors that will go with everything that I wear except for maybe brown and I haven't been wearing a lot of that. The fabric on the inner bag is some that she dyed herself.


The other side has a rich dark red-violet with a little acid green - perfect. And more hand dye on the inner bag. These purses are two completely separate constructions that are then joined to provide pockets inside and out. She even stitched in a pen pocket so maybe I can find my pen.
We drove to Pacific Grove and fondled fabric at Back Porch Fabrics. Naturally, we couldn't resist buying some very special yardage. Gail Abeloe has stacked the shop with fabulous new fabrics, some from manufacturers and designers I haven't previously heard of. But I hope I see lots of their work in the future - gorgeous stuff. She has a wall of new Kaffe Fassett bolts and some 'far out' tie dyes. If you are anywhere in the area you need to check out the wonderful, colorful fabrics that are in stock right now. Too soon we had to go for lunch before it got too late. Mary's treat for my birthday, but my choice. So, of course, I chose the Red House where we split the carrot/ginger soup (so good) and I had my favorite Portabella Sandwich. I almost licked the plate! We stopped at the market close by that sometimes has Ollallaberry pie and tucked one in the backseat to have instead of birthday cake tonight. Served with vanilla ice cream it was devoured in silence out of respect for it's deliciousness.
When we got back to San Juan Bautista we stopped in town at a funky clothing shop that Mary had noticed carries a range of hats. Since I am always grousing about not being able to find hats these days she thought I might find something there. They have some unbelievable hats - some good unbelievable and some "Oh-no- unbelievable". I selected two that are a little fancier than what I wear for everyday, but now that I am of an advanced age I figure I can wear anything and people will just consider that I am old and eccentric. When we were back at Mary's she obliged with some picture taking.
This is a very fine weave and lightweight. The bow is intended to be worn in the front.

This one is actually beige and a rather strange green and I just love it. This is the way the designer intended it to be worn. However, I think....


...it looks better with the bow in front. I was making a terrible face when Mary snapped this shot. But it is the best one of the hat.
Most people know that I always wear a hat - even in bed with the weather is cold. So, when a few of the ladies at the Westside Quilters event on Saturday were browsing in the gift shop at the Fowler Museum they found a hat made from the outer sheath of a new palm frond - it is all one piece, no seams. This hat is from Columbia and is part of a project to provide work and income for the people there who are struggling with poverty and unemployment. I can't imagine that they would sell millions of these, but I love this one and plan to wear it to very special occasions. Maybe even a quilt guild meeting. Brace yourself!

I like it this way, with the tip poked into the fold.

But the card that came with the hat has a picture of a man and a woman, both wearing the tips swinging free. A little dangerous - might poke someone in the eye.

All during our photo session Sassy, the Sussex Spaniel, was under my chair begging for some loving. Such a good dog and very clean after his morning bath today.
It has been a special birthday and tomorrow we celebrate Joe's birthday and send good wishes to Gloria in Sonoma.. But for me it will mostly be a day of rest before driving home on Friday. Yes, I know it is the beginning of the Labor Day weekend, but Corky needs me to be home that evening, so I must be there!!
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

dee said...

belated Birthday wishes Del. I like the bow in front as well. You could take some people out with the pointy end of the second one. I kind of like the concept of hat as weapon...

Carol said...

What a perfect birthday, Del! Can't wait to see the hats "in person."

Corky said...

Sorry I missed sending timely birthday wishes. That palm frond hat is a hoot! I like it with the end floating free.

Gerrie said...

Loved these photos of you in the hats. You can wear them either way and it works for me!! I will soon be 72 and I find it hard to believe. I am glad you had such a good time with Mary.

Terry Grant said...

Happy belated birthday! I love the hats. Wish I could wear hats. My head is too big. They look wonderful on you and add a little something to any outfit in my opinion.

Patty ♣ said...

What a fun post!!!! I have little muscles in the sides of my cheeks that are telling me I was laughing too much... I really do like the first two hats, and I want to be around when you do wear that palm frond one !! Happy am I . Be safe on the way home!!

Patty ♣ said...

I looked again and am once again laughing at the palm hat...
you seem to be able to pull it off, I wouldn't be able to.U R Cute!

June said...

Love the hats. Love the photos with you in the hats. You are looking good, lady. And those hats are definitely perfect for you.

And here's a blog happy birthday, too, even though I finally found your birthday FB post. Never too many happy birthdays around.

Meggie said...

What lovely photos of you! You look so lovely in your hats.