Monday, October 25, 2010

Visions 2010 @ Oceanside Museum of Art 10-25-10

The biennial Visions exhibit has a special place in my life - I've been attending since the very first one in 1987 which was held in Fallbrook. I still remember the thrill I felt as I walked through the quilts displayed - a feeling I experience with every Visions exhibit. The friend who accompanied me was much more of a traditionalist and she was disappointed! I was amazed that the quilt she liked the most was the most traditional one there. Yesterday I attended the special events in connection with the opening of "Quilt Visions 2010: No Boundaries", as always, I was thrilled. The Oceanside Museum of Art where the exhibit is held is adjacent to the Oceanside Civic Center - a breezy, tiled, water-filled pavilion.

I seem to discover unusual flowers there. This is a hibiscus with two-colored petals than turn down instead of flaring open. Lovely yellow - I can almost taste it.

Looking to the west the water flows gently around islands of palms toward Pacific Coast Highway. Beyond the buildings in the middle of the picture is the ocean.

There are always gulls wading and bathing in the fountain. This guy stood pat after the others took wing. He refused to spread his wings on my command!

Across the street at the Oceanside Museum of Art ( http://www.oma-online.org/exhibits.html ) art quilt fans gathered on the front terrace waiting for the doors to open for the 11am artists' tour of the new exhibit. I understand there were 25 artists (out of 39) in attendance. But there was a large crowd packing the galleries, so I saw little of the artists as they spoke, but I could hear every word over the p.a. system. It is fascinating to hear what they chose to say about their technique or inspiration or just their selection as a Visions artist. Afterward they all seemed friendly and approachable and I collected a few autographs in my exhibit catalog. Photos are not permitted.
"Before Sunset" Nelda Warkentin 14"L x 50"W
This is the quilt on the cover of the exhibit catalog and is also on the Visions website.

"Zinnia" Velda Newman 87"L x 212"W
This is the quilt that appears on the exhibit postcard. It is absolutely gorgeous and one that I would buy in a split second if #1 I had the money and #2 I had some place in my house large enough to hang it.
There are seven or eight quilts that I would love to add to the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection and at the top of the list is Judith Content's fabulous "Cataclysm" which was inspired by a book about the eruption of Krakatoa in 1883. I have always coveted Judith's quilts, but, so far, all I have managed is one of her narrow silk scarves which I hang on my wall when I am not wearing it. I have my fingers crossed that "Cataclysm" will become part of the Collection.
It was a great day and I came home to fall into bed. Although my bronchitis is almost gone, I still tire very easily. In fact, instead of joining acquaintances for lunch I went back to my car and stretched out for a little snooze - it helped me get through the afternoon. Featured then was a panel of four artists answering very interesting questions asked by moderator Judith Content and also questions from the audience. The panelists were Deidre Adams, Gloria Hansen, Jane LaFazio and Katie Pasquini Masopust. They all work in different styles, using different techniques and all were very forthcoming about how they mesh their art and their everyday life.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Rayna said...

Judith's work is lovely - I hope you are able to acquire the quilt. Love your photos - you truly have an artist's eye.

Corky said...

Beautiful photos as always!

Anonymous said...

Del, it's good to hear from you again--sorry you've been ill. I went to the luncheon and the symposium, too. I loved Gloria Hansen's quote, "Never apologize for yourself, or the art you make." Words to live by!

Linda Laird
quiltlady@san.rr.com