Thursday, December 30, 2010

Cacti at Lake Havasu City, AZ 12-30-10

This form of cactus has very long sharp spines. I don't know what the 'drawing' is on the pads, could be natural, but I suspect it is an insect burrowing inside the pads. All the pads on this cactus had these markings.


The cacti are mostly bearing fruit right now, but there are a few blossoms here and there. This is a slightly different variety of beavertail cactus than the next image. I believe that all of the beavertail fruits are edible - usually we see them as "cactus jelly" in novelty stores, but the Mexican people cook them in different ways and they are slightly sweet like most fruits.

This variety has larger "pads" and the fruits are slightly different.

This is the same plant, but I like the single fruit growing right out of the middle of one of the pads. I've not seen that before - it looks very strange to me.

This plant had two flowers and the other was quite faded. Notice that the spines are very short and grow in tight clumps, but they are still lethal.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rayna said...

Would you like some snow? It's not fair!!

Gerrie said...

I love cactus and the desert.

dee said...

Hi Del, Beautiful pictures. Thanks for the very funny cartoons and the newsletter. That must be one huge group. It's certainly a talented one. You did a great job. I used to do that for the local church I worked for so I know that it's not easy.

Happy, Healthy, New Year Del.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Very interesting plants. I don't see these in my neck of the woods so I have to enjoy photos.