Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Gifts 12-10-10

Since I was widowed in 1990 the holidays have become more and more difficult, they aren't the same or fun without him. So six or seven years ago I stopped "doing" Christmas. No tree, no decorations, no lights, no parties, no shopping! Gift giving is a large part of the trappings of the holidays and it is impossible to avoid giving gifts to the members of the groups I belong to. I rely mostly on gift cards - Borders, Starbucks, Best Buy. Maybe one year I will be inspired to create handmade gifts again, as I did for so many years, but not yet.
My dear friend Liz made snowmen coasters for her friendship group this year and made an extra one for me. I have a huge collection of snowmen of all kinds, but I haven't unpacked them for years. I will not pack this gift away - it is so sweet and practical (layers of felt) - I'll probably use it all year. Liz and I have coffee every few weeks at Starbucks, so she knows what will be in the envelope I give her for Christmas!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Small things can be lovely. I like your coaster. I know you won't have a BIG Christmas, but I hope you have a lovely small Christmas!

dee said...

Your post spoke directly to me today. Even thought we are many miles apart I consider your friendship and kind words a gift to me this year. Thanks Del.

June said...

Even though I still have Jer, our Christmases have been either non-existent or erratic for the last 5 or 6 years. I just burned out -- and haven't loaded any new fuel.

We _are_ having a turkey potluck dinner at home this year -- biggest event since 2003 or '04 -- with 8 invited guests.

We don't give each other gifts, since neither of us is into shopping and both of us tend to buy for ourselves what we want, when we want it. And the rest of the family is too eccentric to make shopping worthwhile. So a string of lights to hold off the light-sucking demons, a few poinsettias from Freddy's, and a turkey potluck. Seems just about right and enough to me. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who has the same position.

It's a truism, which means an old saw but still true -- Christmas is for children. Once there are no children left around, it seems over the top to me.

Christine Thresh said...

Christmas has not been a big celebration at home for years and years. We often met family members at restaurants on the days between Christmas and New Years. I am glad I don't have any special things to miss. My husband and I didn't exchange gifts, but he did cook roast beef for dinner.
I can cook now and I'll find a small, expensive roast to warm the house and give me delicious sandwiches for the next few days.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

My dear Del, I think I would feel the same way if I lost my husband. He is responsible for all the lights and outdoor decorations and gets such a kick out of Christmas. I am sorry that you have been without your loved one for ten years.

Corky said...

Our splinter group adopted a teacher at a local school this year. We made up kits for the kids to make these exact coasters. Of course they'll be using glue instead of stitching and we're sending sharpies to do the eyes and mouth. We got a bunch of cute mugs at the dollar store and the kids will be able to take home a mug and coaster as gifts for their parents. Several members of the groups will be going to the school on Friday to help the teacher with the project.