Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Gifts #2 12-21-10

Many of us know the spirit of giving, learning from our childhood how much we get back when when we give to others. Christmas brings out this spirit even more than any time of the year. I don't think either of these items were intended as Christmas gifts, but they are special things that the givers knew I would enjoy - holiday or no.

"Maxine #1" 59"W x 63"L Made and given by Ruth Powers http://www.ruthpowersartquilts.com/
Ruth knows I get a laugh out of Maxine's warped outlook on life. The comments make even more of an impact since I learned the cartoon is drawn/written by a man - a very perceptive guy.
This square is especially apt as I forget things with more and more frequency. There were enough panels for two quilts, so Ruth made mine and another for herself. She made a point of saying this is a napping quilt, but I wondered if the wildness would keep me awake - the backing fabric has 1-1/2" white polka dots on a black background - but a couple days ago I napped just fine under it. I think it will make a great travel companion, as I always carry a bed quilt with me when I travel.
This is a lovely glass dish sitting on a black cloth background - it is 4.5" square and concave. Perfect for catching rings and/or earrings on a dresser. Corky's mommy gave it to me on Sunday - she had been out Christmas shopping and thought of me when she saw it. Isn't that the way gifts should always be? Something brings a certain person to mind and one cannot resist buying it for them.
That is the way I like to give gifts - something for exactly the right person, regardless of the season, reason or holiday. Of course, handmade gifts are even more special. I hope I can get back to sewing soon and have some special gifts for some special people.
I can just tell the gift givers "Thank You" and express how much I appreciate their gifts.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

dee said...

What great gifts. Maxine cracks me up too. Thinking of you Del. Wish we were closer. We could have fun forgetting stuff together!