Sunday, December 19, 2010

Elizabeth Barton quilt new to TCQC 12-19-10

Here is a quilt from the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles recent "High Fiber Under Five" Benefit Art Sale. All of the pieces were priced $500 or less. I purchased three of the small quilted works - this is the first I have posted.
"Village Street #1" Elizabeth Barton 2009 15.5"W x 13.25"L
Hand dyed shibori fabrics, machine piecing, applique and quilting.
I am very fond of Elizabeth's work - there are five of her quilts in the TCQC. I think this piece is an "excerpt" from a larger quilt that didn't work. Elizabeth is fearless when she feels something is not what she wanted it to be. Out comes the rotary cutter and zip-zip, it becomes a different quilt, or several different quilts. OMG how I admire that ability in an artist. I especially like the colors in this quilt.
She always signs her work on the front with hand sewing.

And she usually hand stitches the name of the piece on the front.

Her machine quilting is very free motion and flows over the surface of the quilt like... well, like music. This quilt is a little gem that I am happy to have in the Collection.
# # #

3 comments:

Karen said...

I bought one of Elizabeth's quilts from this auction a few years ago and love it.

Unknown said...

I can see why you were attracted to this littl;e quilt Del! The colours are just perfect! I admire Elizabeths work from afar - I doubt I'll ever be able to own one!

Hugz

Rayna said...

I was sorely tempted at FoQ to buy one of Elizabeth's small pieces... Lucky you.