Friday, March 4, 2011

Okay - Into the Pool! 03-04-11

8:30am - First session of aqua therapy.  I should have taken a picture of myself in my blue tank top, which I only wear when it is very hot and I am alone in the house, and cut off pajama bottoms that I bought yesterday at Ross-for-Less.  I don't really care what I look like as long as I am not in danger of being 'exposed'.   However, I did order the bathing suit recommended by Michigoose in a comment on my Feb 24th post - it should arrive on Monday. 

Since I haven't been in a pool for many, many years I felt like I might need one of these supports.  But I did fine in the shallow end.  When I had to move into the "deep" end (5 feet) the therapist made me wear a ski belt - haven't worn one of those in about fifty years!  I think I would be more comfortable without the belt.
 
Naturally, the exercises didn't include diving - I know I have forgotten how to do that.  He started me off with side stepping, knee lifting - gentle stuff.  Then in the deeper section - sort of jumping jacks, walking up the side of the pool while holding onto the railing, other exercises.  My problem is going to be the same as with the floor exercises, I need a cheat sheet to refer to every single time.  My short term memory is a minus.
  
There were three other women in the pool, all of whom just started their routines without any assistance.  And two guys who did the same.  We are all old and apparently all have different problems, or maybe I haven't gotten to the hard stuff yet.   
 
When I first got in the pool the therapist gave me the introduction which included pool rules and cautions and ended with a warning to hold onto the railing when I got out of the pool.  He said I would get to the third step and suddenly I would feel like I couldn't take another step.  He was right - as I took the third step it felt like a giant mattress had fallen on me.  I stopped and took a couple breaths and, with difficulty, took the final two steps.  Whew!  Not a feeling I have ever had before.  He explained it was gravity kicking in after I had been supported by the water as I exercised.
I felt like doing this!  But, instead, I washed off and dressed and staggered to the car.  I even wondered if I should call someone to come for me - should I be driving?  But I drove home, threw my wet things in the washer and collapsed into bed.  My "lights" were out for two hours - like I was d-e-d.  Complete exhaustion.  But then I got up and got busy.  I had some errands I had planned to do on the way home, so I went out and did them.  But this is still an early night for me so that I can be up and about early.  I'm going to meet Liz for coffee in the morning, she has a quilt completed she wants to share - a UFO of several years mellowing. 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Karen said...

I go to the gym and meet with a trainer, and even though I've been going for a year, he still has to show me what he's talking about when he names the exercise. Maybe you can wear a little laminated card around your neck or something. I think just showing up in the first place is the hardest part.

Susan Turney said...

Good for you!!!! And it sounds like your therapist knows exactly what he's doing. That first step is the hardest when it comes to exercise and you've taken it!!! I'm sure it will all become routine after a few sessions....and I'm sure everyone else feels, or felt, exactly the same way.

Loretta said...

Bravo! Bravo! You have accomplished what I consider the impossible! Thank you so much for setting a very special example, and now, I'm off to my morning walk, which is a new, and I hope, morning routine for me. Keep up your extraordinarly wonderful new program! Hugs.

Unknown said...

Well done, DEL! I'm so glad. Don't forget, these other people have probably been doing this for ages. I always have problems with "left and right." And, it does get easier the longer you do it.

Remember, you're retraining muscles, developing better lung capacity as well as doing things your body probably hasn't done in awhile. Take it easy, do what you are able. Remember, it isn't meant to be painful. Recovery is good, and the recovery time will be less and less.

If you find you're getting stiff, some people find that drinking cherry juice helps (it is an anti-inflamatory). My daughter swears by drinking a glass of chocolate milk made with Hershey's calcium enriched syrup. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but the calcium does help to avoid cramps.

I hope the swimsuit works for you. As I said, it is a little different than mine, but I do like my 2 piece much better...

Lisa Quintana (aka Michigoose)