Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Another Quilt from Visions 2010 03-14-11

Once again I admit to, essentially, being a thief.  Seeing the quilts at a Visions exhibit is such an awe inspiring event for me that I always want to share it by taking pictures.  The quilts are splendid, but I get real joy out of being able to see the fabulous details the artists have created.  This is one I would have purchased had it not already been sold. And hurrah for the buyer, of this and the other quilts that sold, for putting funds into the Visions bank account.  Every little (or big) bit helps keep this great exhibit coming back every two years. 

 
This piece is 45"wide and 41"long. 
The color is subtle and soothing.  Someone said it looked like a tombstone, but to me it resembles a piece of broken wall with moss and stains and graffiti.
The bluish area is composed of torn lace with lots of over stitching.  The little flecks toward the top are either stones or wood.  I hope they have been coated with something to keep the acid from eating the fabric.
 
Very small scraps of brown tone fabrics are scattered above the 'graffiti' which is done with both machine stitches and very long single thread couched stitches.
I have never previously noticed this technique on a binding.  So delicate, so time consuming, so much the artist's own "mark".  Beautiful binding!

Click on the pictures to enlarge.  I don't find a website for Brooke, but you can Google her name and find various sites that show images of her work. 

And you can enjoy this quilt and all those in Visions -2010 by purchasing a catalog!

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Gerrie said...

Wow! That is incredible work.

Cynthia St Charles said...

I am so lucky to be in a small group with Brooke and to have the opportunity to be inspired and awed by her work on a monthly basis. Kudos to you for sharing her work - more people need to see it!

Loretta said...

EXQUISITE! Thank you so much for sharing Brooke's work with us.

Unknown said...

Brooke doesn't have a website or a blog. I reviewed a piece of her work on my blog last summer.

She is a class lady! She emailed me when I tracked her down and asked permission to show her piece. Her explanation of her work and general letter was just wonderful.

Brooke's work is all about texture. She tries to use repurposed materials or scraps and works hard to make sure that the dying methods are as green as possible. Wonderful work.

Lisa Quintana

Ryan Atherton said...

I guess I need to get a website going for her since so many are trying to find her. I'll talk with her about setting up a blog this weekend.

He has much more wonderful work that nobody has seen yet.