Monday, March 14, 2011

Quilt from TCQC posted on Blog 03-13-11

This quilt was part of the SAQA online auction 2009.  There were an unusual number of black and red quilts that year and I purchased several.  This one attracted me because of the red bird, since I am always bird watching as I travel, and also the idea of a bird 'walking the line".  Usually we see and think of birds flying or sitting on a line, but they do sometimes walk along a wire - or perhaps they hop. 

"Walk the Line"  Doria Anne Goocher - San Diego, CA  2009  12"x12"
Background: Cotton resist dyed, Bird: Silk with chain stitch hand embroidery, Line: hand embroidery.   Machine quilted.
A nice bright red back with a good explanatory label sewn firmly on.

 
The bird is hand appliqued with red thread and Doria did not go over it with black machine quilting.
 
I am frequently surprised at the location of labels.  I put mine in the lower left hand of the back because I think people more frequently lift the right hand corner of the front when they want to see the back or the label.  Of course, there is no rule.  I don't care for the labels on the sleeve because the quilt must be removed from the wall (or wherever it is hanging), or if it is rolled for storage it must be unrolled in order to see the label, since it is better to roll from the top of the quilt.  I have taken to marking "label on sleeve" on the paper storage label that I put on a rolled quilt.   See Doria's website: http://www.designsbydoria.com/

#   #   #

No comments: