Friday, April 15, 2011

April Program for Surfside Quilters Guild 04-14-11

I have some pictures taken by Carol Whiteside at the meeting on Tuesday.  It is rather complicated to transfer them to this Blog, so I will just show four images. 

"Cataclysm" by Judith Content  2009  85"W x 55"L  Silk, hand-dyed.
This is one of the more recent quilts in TCQC, I picked it up March 14th at the end of the Visions - 2010 exhibit in Oceanside.  It hung center stage during the program.


Here I am explaining "Discombobulated" by Jill Rumoshosky Werner 2002  2"W x 9yardsL.  Cotton
This is such a special quilt and I love to surprise audiences with it.  I talked about it previously in this Blog - see http://tinyurl.com/69xskb8

"Early Birds"  Ruth Powers - Carbondale, KA  2006  49"W x 38"L
Ruth Powers uses a piecing technique similar to that of Ruth McDowell, so this quilt is entirely pieced.  One of the popular members of the guild loved this quilt especially because she remembers robins from her childhood many decades ago in another state.  I told her we do have robins here, but she has never seen one.  They only dwell in old residential areas with lots of trees and acres of grass.   Behind me you can see the first panel of a four panel quilt "Red Wave" by Dianne Firth of Canberra, ACT, Australia


 "Gilia" Ruth B. McDowell - Colrain, MA  2011  22.5"W x 38.5"L 
This is the latest addition to the Collection, I purchased it from Ruth while I was at Empty Spools last week. 

I hope to have more pictures from the program, but perhaps not.  I will post images from Asilomar and Ruth McDowell's classroom.  I just have too much on my schedule right now.  Need to get to bed because I have another aqua therapy session at 8am and Corky will be here for the weekend.  I had to take him home this evening because he cannot go to aqua therapy with me.  How cruel! 
#   #   #

6 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

It must be lots of fun to attend one of your collection talks and see lots of your special quilts up close and personal.

Do you think Corky would enjoy aqua therapy? I know you are enjoying the results.

Unknown said...

Oh Del! Thank you so much for sharing these both on your blog and in your lectures. It is so wonderful to be exposed to pieces and quilters we may not be able to see/meet in person!

Maybe someday in the near future since DD is going off to college and I can then accompany DH on trips to CA, I'll be able to attend one of your lectures!

Lisa Quintana

Gerrie said...

Wow! I just love the new acquisition of Judith's quilt. It is gorgeous!

Terry Grant said...

what wonderful treasures!

Nancy said...

With the poodle Prince's health issues he might really enjoy a little aqua therapy with you! Lovely picture in my mind - Del and the Prince lolling around in the warm water....
Blessings,
Nancy

Del said...

Which Nancy?
Corky always wears a floatation device when he is on a boat - his parents tried to introduce him to water when he was a pup and he didn't like it. I've always thought it sad that he doesn't get to go swimming. I asked about having him in his stroller in the pool area (I took him to regular PTherapy a number of times and he just slept), but they said no dogs in the building unless they are guide dogs. Don't think he would pass the test!
At this time I have no programs scheduled, but I have had half a dozen enquires. I started posted the dates on my Blog - look at the bottom of the sidebar. Del