Friday, April 15, 2011

More April Program for Surfside QGuild 04-15-11

 This is pretty much an arbitrary selection of small quilts from the Collection.  I tried to select pieces that illustrate various techniques and styles.  I believe I have talked about all of these in my Blog on various Sundays - check for the artist's name in the sidebar for more information.

Top row:  Calla Lilly - Aileyn Renli Ecob 2009, Liberty - Kathleen McCabe 2009, Amidst the Fire - K.Grace Howes 2009,  4 fiber artist trading cards, Pomegranate #2 - Dijanne Cevaal 2006, Blue Butterfly - Bonnie Sabel 2009.
Middle row: I Know a Rhino - Ami Simms 2006, (below) Red Nest - Claire Fenton 2006, Tillamook Rooster - Terry Grant 2009, Oregon Junco - Terry Grant  2007, Fantasy Flowers 1 - Julia Zgliniec 2010.  


Top row: Boundary Waters #30 - Virginia Spiegel 2007, Checks & Bars Jumble - Sue Benner 2009, House - Sally Sellers 2007, Night Fire -  Elizabeth Barton 2007,
Bottom row: Vest Pocket Tour II - Joan Schulze 2001, Gentle Reminder - Linda Colsh 2008, Don't Piss Off the Fairies - Ruth Powers 2008, Happy Birthday, Del - Judy House  2003.

You might notice that all of these small quilts have been created since 2001.  Prior to that, artists did not make many small quilts and, to be honest, I wasn't interested in such small pieces.  Realistically, selling nine 12x12 quilts at $100/each is much easier than selling one 36" square quilt at $5000.  I would like to support as many quilters as I can, so I started buying smaller quilts that fit within my selection parameters. .     

This is the folding design board that Mabel Huseby created for me and I have enjoyed it and use it whenever I can.  It was an "ha-ah" moment when I discovered that the small quilts could be pinned up before I left the house and the board simply unfolded at a meeting to display the quilts.  I also pin up a short description of each piece.
The two slats slip out and then fit in the horizontal sleeves to hold the board rigid.  

Here is the board folded with the handle and the closing tabs on the left, fastened with Velcro over the edge.  If you are interested in the pattern for this Portable Design Board you can contact Mabel at mabelh2@msn.com 

1 comment:

Suzanne Lucy said...

Isn't Mabel's design board great! For all your blog followers...Mabel has a pattern and detailed instructions for making these design boards.