Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Fabric Shopping & Flower Gazing 04-19-11

This morning was the Surfside QGuild Board Meeting of outgoing and incoming officers - the new year starts with May.  As tradition dictates it was a potluck and, as usual, very tasty.  For dessert I took a three pound box of See's assorted chocolates - quicker than making cookies!  After lunch here were only a few left, which I left on the tray in the car while I went fabric shopping.  Unfortunately, they melted because I took too long, so I was forced to scrap them off the tray and eat them.  Woe is I! 

At my Ruth McDowell class at Asilomar my table mate was Cecile Choi, who owns "The Sewing Party" quilt shop in Laguna Hills, CA.  It is a little out of my normal routes, so I had never been there.  Just before she went to Empty Spools Cecile had moved to a new location, but in the same area, and I was curious to visit her.  It is a bright and cheerful shop with a large classroom - check out the clever divider to make it into two smaller spaces - and lots of "modern" fabrics, including some special ones from Japan.  I've never been able to go in a fabric shop without buying something....

 
This is for a new pillowcase.  The ones I made several years ago are getting a little tatty.  Those made from quilting fabrics don't last as well as the commercial pillowcases made from higher thread-count cotton, but I love to have an original, homemade pillowcase on my pillow.  I think this one will have a black and white cuff with a strip of gold. 


 
These four fabrics don't have a "purpose", they just join the thousands of yards in my fabric library.

The wildflowers are finally out in full bloom.  I suppose it has just been too cold for them the last month or so.  Usually there are wild mustard, poppies, lupine and many others blooming in March, but all my driving lately has revealed few displays.  Nice to see them today under the very blue sky.


 
And the "tame" flowers are also blooming.  This iceplant along Moulton Parkway was dazzling.  Further along are some salmon bougainvillea (the bush type) - I think it is an odd color combination, but it is very colorful.  Click picture to enlarge.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

That chicken fabric is fantastic! It will make a very nice pillowcase. How will you be able to sleep?
Melted See's. I would have helped you scrape it.

Rayna said...

Those fabrics are so cheerful and fun that they would even tempt ME. My feet are up after an arduous week and I am ready for a massage. Care to join me?