Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Lazy Day in Carbondale, KS 05-28-11

It was a somewhat lazy day today.  I spent some time trying to catch up with business on the Internet and wandered around the yard looking at the flowers and the birds and the green-green trees and thinking how different it is from SCalifornia.  Finished up a few fiber postcards using Ruth's machine - ready to mail on Tuesday for the AAQI.  They are due on June 1st, so I guess I will overnight them from wherever I can along the road on Tuesday.  Talk about pushing a deadline - of course, I forgot that Monday is a mail-less  holiday, so I should have had them in the mail earlier this week.  No chance of that - it is hard to sew whilst driving on the Interstate.  


This is Ruth and Charlie's house, which is built into a rise (not really tall enough to be a hill).  It gives them coolness in the summer and warmth in the winter and is also safer in a tornado.  Although they have never had one really close.

This is a view of the side of the garage.  And in the back the roof is only a foot or so above the ground.

The wood deck and the koi pond are under this native walnut and also an elm beyond it.  The pond is to the left where you see the white pots. 

There is a male Hairy Woodpecker at the feeder.  Downy Woodpeckers also visit, but they are about 6" while the Hairy is about 9".  I never could get a picture of the resident Baltimore Orioles, they are very shy.
Notice the glass stylized image of a Komondor in the window, Griffin, a Komondor, lives in this house!.  The vine is a Porcelain Berry.    
This is a different clematis than I have seen before.  It is Clematis integrifolia 'Rooguchi'.  When the flowers open the petals curl up and back like the outer petals of a fuchsia. 

Here is a beautiful iris for Suzanne!  I've seen so many lovely colors whilst driving and couldn't take a picture.  This was my mother's favorite color - maybe you know the name. 

The Cardinal kept coming back, but was always hiding in the Chaste Tree.  So bright against the grey.

 
I've seen huge clumps of yellow iris along the roadside and in yards.  I'm thinking they must naturalize and somehow survive the slugs and snails.
 
I'm heading home tomorrow.  I'll try to Blog every evening, but I am going to be making tracks across Kansas to New Mexico, Arizona and into California.  Should be home by Friday
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Suzanne Kistler said...

Love the iris, Del!! :) Thank you!!

A friend calls random roadside iris "barn iris," meaning that they were thinned from the garden and thrown behind the barn. Iris are hardy things, they seem to thrive in the most peculiar places, don't they?

Gerrie said...

Safe travels, Del!

Beverly said...

Drive safe, Del. Thanks for sharing your road trip with us, I enjoyed it all!

June said...

My mother loved the deep blue iris -- "flags" she called them.
Ruth's house looks lovely and the surrounds are wonderfully country. All those birds. I remember the cardinals in March in Enporia, Kansas, when not a leaf bud was on a tree. It's a big country out there, but well populated with gorgeous stuff.

I like "barn iris." Like barn day lilies, which also seem to be able to come up anywhere.