Sunday, May 22, 2011

SAQA Conference - Denver 05-22-11

On Wednesday driving through Colorado's mountains I broke my prescription sunglasses.  I was okay all the rest of the week wearing my half glasses, but I knew I need to find a place that to do a repair.  I skipped the first morning sessions and checked with the concierge who sent me to a place about five blocks away.  I thought the walk would do my psoas muscles good so I set off, not many people about, but Spring was obviously present!

This is the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall which has a busway down the middle - free rides. 
 But I kept walking.
All along the sidewalks the large pots have been planted with pansies.
In the very middle of this picture is a pedicab being peddled in the busway.  He slowed, smiled and said something I couldn't hear, but I was still determined and shook my head.
There are alleyways off between the buildings.  They seemed well maintained and clean, but a great contrast to the flowers and freshly leaved trees on the Mall.  I was trying to remember when I last walked in a city, but I can't.  Must have been San Jose sometime in the last year, but only for a few blocks.  I finally ran out of steam yesterday morning and took the free bus for about a block to the street I was seeking.
My glasses were fixed in about 45 minutes and I walked all the way back to the motel.  Stopped at the Rite Aid, a Colorado tourist shop for postcards, a Starbuck's for a latte and the delicious Cook's Fresh Market for some lunch to take back for Ruth and I.  The Chicken Salad was outstanding.  I was too hungry to take a picture!   This cow must be the sole survivor of a great herd and appeared to have been standing there for a long time as she was a bit beat up. 


 
This sign along the roadway in Boulder just makes me laugh.  I had to go around a couple blocks to snag a picture, but it was worth the gas - I'm smiling about it right now!
We have been so busy and I have taken pictures, but no time to get them 'cleaned up' and captioned.  I'll try to find some time soon.  Too bad I can't do it while driving, or while Ruth Powers is driving!  We haven't yet decided which way to go to eastern Kansas where Ruth lives, but the TV weather reports have pushed us in the direction of driving NE to I-80 and across Nebraska.  The weather on I-70 through the middel of Kansas is somewhat intimidating.  The tornado in SE Kansas yesterday did not do any damage in the vicinity of Ruth's house.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rayna said...

Now you know why I love Boulder. Off to the studio...

Dolores said...

You're driving to Kansas then back by yourself???? Wow, missy, you are adventurous!!! I'm happy you got the walking in too. Have a wonderful time. XX

Patty ♣ said...

I Keep thinking about you driving in that scary part of the country! I am saying a Safe Travels Prayer! I hope that it is an enjoyable drive!!♥

June said...

Glad to hear you can avoid the worst of the weather. And even more happy that Ruth's house and area is fine.

Happy driving. Loved the photo of that muffin. Vicarious eating pleasures!