Friday, May 27, 2011

On-the-Road to Kansas City, MO 05-27-11

Here is a view I rarely have!  I am riding in the backseat of Ruth Power's sedan and her husband Charlie is driving.  I missed the side view mirrors and the brake pedal, but Charlie is a good driver and I was comfortable.
In the past I was surprised about these layers of rock under the top layer of soil.  They show in the road cuts all along the highway. 

We were en route to the Arabia Steamboat Museum in Kansas City, MO. http://www.1856.com/ It was amazing and I enjoyed it very much.  Arabia hit a submerged snag (a walnut tree) and sank in 1856.  It was found and excavated in 1990's by five local men.  The steamboat was carrying supplies up the Missouri River to the settlers all along the river up into South Dakota, so there was a little bit, or a lot, of everything needed to build homes and communities in the "wilderness".   Pictures are allowed without a flash and I took many of many different things.  I'm posting images of "sewing" things because most of those who read this Blog will appreciate them.

Every item displayed has been frozen after being removed from the ship uncovered in 45 feet of mud and silt in a cornfield which was once the path of the river.  As time and workers are available the items are cleaned and dried and some are put on display - it is somewhat like an old fashioned general store.  The guide said they have about ten more years of recovery and conservation of the "stuff" still froze.  Clockwise above starting from top left are many types of buttons including glass from Austria and printed china from the US, a bowl metal buttons and buckles, half of a bowl of many sizes of needles, thimbles, hat pins, ink bottles (don't know about the taller bottle), gold pen holders (the old fashioned nibs fit in one end and were dipped into the ink bottles).   

Here is a closer view of the buttons in the bowl at top left. 

Of course, those people out on the prairies needed hats and there were stacks and stacks of them.  All have been frozen, thawed, dried, cleaned and reshaped.   As a be-hatted person I can appreciate this!

There were many containers of beads to use as trade with the native Americans and for ladies decorating hats (and quilts?).  This display was about the other items the natives wanted in trade.
We were there for about 2-1/2 hours and I could have looked for several more hours, I think.  But I was about dead on my feet and so were Ruth and Charlie.  We refreshed with some ice cream and headed back to Carbondale, KS, about an hour and 20 minute drive today.   Just a few sprinkles of rain along the way.

 
Of course, we had to visit the facilities.  And I had to take a picture of this cute little soap dispenser - and myself in the mirror.  Do I look tired?  I am exhausted tonight and am going to bed as soon as I post this Blog.  It is only 10:30pm!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Only 10:30?! That's kinda late. You must be a night owl. I'm completely entranced by all those buttons, thimbles and other interesting bits.

Loretta said...

A wonderful visit. I particularly thought the hat pins lovely. Thank you.