Wednesday, May 25, 2011

On the Road - Grand Island/Lincoln to Carbondale, KS 05-25-11

Rain pretty much all night and into the morning - lightning and thunder, but no tornadoes!


Sometimes the clouds looked like they were pleated - all in black - grey - white.  The  pods are something I cut near Ogallala hoping I can identify the plant when I get to the computer or a book on plants.


Rain continued and it became darker and darker.
Before we arrived in Lincoln, NE., which was less than a hundred miles, things looked a little brighter, but the wind was very strong.
This building houses the International Quilt Study Center and Museum.  Personally I think they could have done better, but I know that some people love it. 


The major exhibit ended on Sunday and the staff is busy installing the next one, Mosaic quilts from England and the USA.  But there is a smaller exhibit of Nebraska quilts which are quite wonderful.  Ruth and I both liked this one the best.  Pictures are allowed without a flash.  The label that accompanied the quilt is below.


Click on the pictures to enlarge them.


We did see another sandhill crane!  It is on this imaginative quilt made about 1864.  The label says the quilt was made in Germany, but I don't think that sandhill cranes or blue jays (in the adjacent block) live in Germany.  I'll do a little more research. 




Sorry for the quality of this image - I usually take two and keep the best one, but I slipped up on this.

We arrived at Ruth Power's house about 7:30pm, at the dinner Ruth's husband Charlie had ready for us and then hauled all our stuff out of the car.  They are already in bed and I am going as soon as I post this Blog. The weather is supposed to improve tomorrow.  Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Dolores said...

Stay safe in the tornado region, friend. Enjoy. XX

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I have enjoyed following your travels to the SAQA conference and quilt exhibits. I hope you have continue to have a safe trip!