Sunday, June 26, 2011

Quilt by Karen Miller in TCQC 06-26-11

I have always had an "itchy foot" and sometimes just go off for a drive, just to be driving.  I don't always need a destination, but I was going to San Juan Bautista in June 2009 and decided to extend my trip to Philomath, OR, to see a one person exhibit of Karen Miller's work.  I didn't go with the intention of purchasing a quilt, but when I saw this one I couldn't resist.  I've never seen a golden trout in the wild, but I have caught a number of rainbows and browns.  The wild goldens are pretty much gone, perhaps there are a few in the high altitude wilderness preserves, where I will never go.  Instead I am able to enjoy this colorful school on my wall year round.   

"California Gold"  Karen Miller - Corvallis, OR 2007  42"W x 19"L
Cotton and silk fabric, commercial batik fabric.  Stenciled with hand detail.
 Machine pieced and quilted.
Karen uses the ancient technique of Katazome to create her hand stenciled fabrics.  It is a very intricate and time consuming process, but the results are breathtaking.  You may have met Karen at her booth at some of the larger quilt shows (PIQF, East Bay Heritage Quilters, IQF-LBeach), you could hardly miss her very beautiful fabrics and panels, many of them in indigo.  On her website she demonstrates the process she uses: 
Look in the gallery section to see her finished work. http://www.nautilus-fiberarts.com/
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Dolores said...

Loved the video. Thanks for the opportunity to watch a technique that I didn't know existed!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Del,
What a simple work of beauty! Nothing can be added, nothing can be removed. Thanks for sharing it.

Corky is looking well, and I once ate Copper River salmon in Seattle at Ivar's Acres of Clams. AAAHHH... What a memory!

Linda Laird
quiltlady@san.rr.com

Felisa Lyons said...

I'll look for her at Long Beach!

Anonymous said...

Her work is lovely...I was not familiar with this technique. Thank-you for sharing the piece and the information! My Best, joni

Karen said...

Thanks Del for the kind word and good publicity. I only go to the East Bay Heritage Quilters show, not the others, and it has been several years since I was able to do even that. Surgery and travel to Japan got in the way. But I will be back this year in Richmond. Hope to see you there.