Saturday, July 2, 2011

A Food Truck Adventure 07-01-11

After aqua therapy I went to the market to stock up for Corky's four night stay - I don't leave him alone at my house.   I thought I would stop for a Starbucks (no, I haven't kicked the habit yet), but....

...on Imperial Highway I saw this guy flashing his arrow sign.  I've always wondered how effective this sort of advertising can be - today it worked for me.    I turned in to have a look and discovered that the trucks gather in the parking lot of a long-stay motel every Friday between 11am and 1:30pm.  The motel allows "diners" to eat in their facility, out of the heat.   I haven't eaten from a food truck for decades - way back in the days they were referred to as "roach coaches", but I have half a dozen articles that I printed off the Internet about various trucks and places that groups of them gather.  It just hasn't worked out before.
There were four trucks.  The Lobsta Truck was not open yet - even when I drove away at 11:30am.  Funny looking lobsters, don't you think?  There was a crab roll on the menu board.  http://www.lobstatruck.com/ 
This is the Bacon Mania truck which was also late in opening.  One of the guys waiting was almost drooling as he told me, "Anything is wonderful with bacon."  http://baconmaniatruck.com/live/


The sushi truck was the smallest one there - how do they work in such a tiny space?


And finally there was the "Spud Runner's Gourmet Fry Truck".  Lots of deep fried foods.
I decided on "Rolling Sushi".  It seemed the least sinful and I do love sushi. 


Decisions.  Decisions.


This picture is out of order - sorry.  I want to include it in case an Orange County reader is interested in having a food truck adventure of her own.


Lobster Tacos.  Not REALLY lobster, but langostinos.  Still very, very good.  The langostinos were cooked, but the red stuff is fish roe and I don't think it is cooked.  Okay with me.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langostino


Rolling Balls.  This is raw spicy tuna with little bits of deep fried noodle bits and black sesame seeds.  The wrapper is soy based and edible. 


 
I drove home with my lunch and enjoyed it comfortably seated at the breakfast table.  Good thing if I had eaten near the trucks I would surely have gone back for seconds.  So, if you are looking for me on a Friday between 11am and 1:30pm you might try the "truck stop" at the Chase Hotel on Imperial Blvd. in Brea! 
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh yum! Carlos promises to take to to CA on one of his business trips (he goes monthly) after DD goes off to college. One of his staples when he is there is sushi.

We have a couple of places to get sushi and surimi here in OH (towns of 20,000 here don'thave much choice), but not a lot. Lsst night we did have Ahi at a local place which does it seared with pepper just on the outside and sliced thin with wasabi, tamari dipping sauce (it has plum sauce in it too...and I"m not so fond of it). I go for the wasabi and sprinkles of lemon. Next week we will go to a "chinese" place which serves awesome sushi...looking forward to it...although I do have to be careful as my immune system is compromised..it will take a while to get it back up to par. YUM Yum!

Quiltedtime said...

Hmmmm...........those are some creative combinations of ingredients! Maybe we will be seeing some of these cooks on next year's season of Master Chef.

PattyBYoung said...

Love it! Welcome to the 21st century!

Loretta said...

Lunchtime adventures with Del...love it! Thank you.

Corky said...

The food trucks around here are all of the taco type. Yours look much more appetizing.

Rayna said...

Very creative "sushi." Only in California! Love these trucks. On the Rutgers campus, where my kids went, everybody used to call them the Grease Trucks and they were mostly hero sandwiches and stuff like that. Nothing exotic or interesting, though it might be different now.

NY City has just banned the wonderful food trucks from parking anywhere (effectively, banishing them from midtown, where people grab their lunches). Complaints from brick and mortar eating places but where else can you get a quick, delicious, gourmet bite? All kinds of ethnic food. Sad. These things you had for lunch look yummy.

Carol said...

Oh Del,
Let's make a date!