Sunday, June 12, 2011

Route 66 along I-40 (Part 2) 06-11-11

Another glimpse of Route 66 and a surprise in the midst of a barren landscape.


Coming down from Flagstaff's almost 7000 feet the terrain is more and more high desert - lots of sagebrush and no trees.  About seventy miles west there is the town of Seligman, AZ.which is only visible from the highway as a grove of trees and a few buildings slightly to the north.  It is surreal to find this garish town in the midst of the desert barreness. http://www.route66giftshop.com/seligman.html   I turned off for gas and to see how much it has changed since I last drove through - it has actually grown and is much better maintained.  Maybe a case of "If you build it, they will come."   


I was surprised at the tour buses, but the view going into town hasn't changed much. 
Remember that you can click on the photos to enlarge. Notice how many places there are to sit down.


The place was packed with people walking, sitting, talking, eating and looking at the 'sights'!  One of the buses had a group of Japanese tourists.  What do they think of all this?


There were a dozen or so motorcycles, not as many as I expected considering how many I had seen on the highway. 


Most of these people are not real, just mannequins dressed in clothing from the 50s & 60s.


I wonder how good the business is at the Roadkill Cafe - I think I would not be comfortable.


Are the buildings bright colors to attract business?  Or just to brighten up the desert? The autos here are part of the decor.
There are several gas stations in town.  This place had the cheapest at $4.019.


A nice bright yellow shop with trashcan, bench, "memorabilia" and a totem pole.  Totem pole?  Someone is lost.
"Buffalo Bites"?  Too lame.  It looks like he is standing on a dying lizard, but I think it is supposed to be a rock.


 
I was quickly back on I-40 toward Kingman, AZ and Seligman was like a hallucination.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Rayna said...

Oh, I remember that tv show - Route 66. Guess I'm dating myself - but what else is new?

You should write a travel guide.