Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Weird Stuff - Miscellaneous 06-13-11

Here are some things that don't fit anywhere.

First here is a video for fans of the Village People - I think it is funny, anyway.
Here is something I don't see often, even on the coast of SCalifornia - a 1946 Woody. I know the year because the license plate is 46WUDE. It was on the freeway and I couldn't drive and get a decent image. Just look at those white wall tires - classy.

When I am drinking and driving I find it awkward to hold my cup with a regular Starbucks' straw up to my lips. Just before I left on my trip I saw these straws at the market and thought they would be the solution to my problem. I could put my cup in the cup holder between the seats, away from the one in front of the air conditioning vent - which cools coffee off very quickly.

Unfortunately, the straws are several inches too short, I still have to lift the cup up to get the straw in my lips. But I think it is still less distracting to the driver.


Of course, the straws don't work in the cup holder in front of the A/C vent at all. I may try plastic tubing from the hardware store. But, then again, I may just get a new car with cup holders that fit my needs.

Ruth and I stopped for gas on I-25 north of Denver and were mystified by this FREE service in a lot nearby. We wondered what he was actually selling, but didn't wonder enough to go ask him.

I have met a "Manual Automatic Door" on a previous trip. That time I just stood there with my brain slowly grinding away. This one doesn't say "manual", but it is the same arrangement. One must look around for the....
....rest of the equation. This time the "switch" happens to be on sight level for someone in a wheelchair, or maybe a six year old. One can either push the button or push the door. These doors may be everywhere, just not places that I usually go, I guess.

In Lincoln, NE, they must have trouble with people missing the no right turn signs, so they go all out and put an "icon" up in neon. Usually there are just signs that say "No right turn on red."

 
My goodness, what a sky! This kind of expansiveness makes me joyful - inside and out - I hope I can go on a road trip again next year. Meanwhile, I will mull over my pictures and daydream.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Bev said...

love the woodie -- and I had to look at the picture twice before I realized it wasn't a piece of fiber art!

thanks for sharing your travels