Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Cooking 07-25-11

I'm not a "food presentation designer", obviously.  This picture doesn't make my roasted chicken look very appetizing, but I assure you that it is delicious.

As the past twenty-plus years have zipped past I have cooked less and less.  When I was widowed and started cooking for one, I quickly lost interest.  For a number of years I entertained and enjoyed it, but it seemed to become a one way street and I rarely had invitations to other homes.  It hasn't seemed to make much difference that I don't entertain, few friends other than Corky's parents and the Bednars invite me to dine.  It is probably better this way as I have developed so many food allergies as I "mature" that I hesitate to eat out.  I have found some restaurants that I can trust to not add weird stuff to their food and sometimes I venture into the unknown and try something new.  Unfortunately, it is usually higher priced places that have "pure" food.
But, about the chicken...   I do occasionally buy a "supermarket" chicken and I have even found a market that sells low sodium versions, but they are still too salty for me.  Mostly I cook chicken breasts or thighs on the range top with mirepoix and low sodium chicken broth.  However, I do get a hunger for a real roasted chicken, so I find a nice five pound hen, roast it early in the morning or late at night, and have lots of leftovers!  This time I will take some to the Bednars who just returned from Europe and probably need some old fashioned Oregon cooking.  And I will package some to freeze for future use.  Meanwhile I will eat chicken sandwiches, including some made with romaine instead of bread, some chicken tacos, and whatever else I can think of.  It is a chicken week.
And, incidentally, it is also the anniversary week of the death of my chicken-loving friend, Judy House.  Such a talent and such a great friend to all of her friends.  I miss her still and I know that others do also.  I posted about Judy's Chicken quilt back in 2008:  http://delquilts.blogspot.com/2008/11/posted-by-picasa.html
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Gerrie said...

Judy had the kind of infectious spirit that lingers with you forever.

Carol said...

Oh, Del, the chicken was delicious. Lucky us!

Nancy said...

Del,

I am a roasted chicken lover. Yours makes me salivate. I'm going to have to make one as soon as the heat lets up. If you lived here, I'd invite you for chicken dinner.

The chicken quilt is marvelous. I didn't know Judy but I'm sure all of your's and everyone's efforts on that quilt helped to support her when she needed it most. Such a loving thing for friends to do.

Enjoy your week of chicken bliss!

Nancy T.

PS I'm going to the kitchen to make a curried chicken sandwich for tomorrow's lunch at work.

June said...

One of Jer's specialties is roasted chicken -- done as plain as your maiden aunt. His secret is buying from the only store in southeast Portland whose chickens are fresh, reliably fresh, organically fed, free range -- and delicious.

Soon he'll be putting the chicken together with new potatoes -- boiled, again, plain as your foolish old uncle. I always feel pampered when he does this kind of Sunday meal:-)