Saturday, July 30, 2011

Quilt Festival - Long Beach 07-29-11

Quilt Festival - Long Beach opened yesterday with a preview evening and continues through Sunday.  I did go last evening but I didn't take a single picture! I was too busy visiting with friends I seldom see and making new friends with other quilters at the Long Beach Convention Center.  But I did go back today to look at quilts and visit yet more friends I bumped into.  The first exhibit inside the door is "West Coast Wonders 2011" - an annual juried exhibit showcasing quilts showing the beauty of the West Coast of North America.   Here are three of the lovely quilts in that exhibit.  



The spotlights in the Convention Center are very bright and sometimes it is impossible to take a picture without some "spotlight washout" - as you see in the upper right corner of this diptych.  the fabric selection is very good, as is the workwomanship.


 
WOW!  Do I love this quilt?  Even the mouse for dinner is perfect within the design. 
Nice fabric selection and the stars give it a bit of Harry Potter feeling.
And it brings to mind a book the Book Group read earlier this year, "Wesley the Owl" by Stacey O'Brien.  A fascinating true story about a young woman who took in an abandoned baby barn owl who became her companion for almost two decades.  http://www.wesleytheowl.com/
I was fortunate to be invited to go out to a Thai restaurant with some other ladies and one of them happened to be Deb Mackay. The food was wonderful - more on that in a future Blog. 

I always find Laura Fogg's quilts very charming and beautifully made.  She comes up with some great techinques/materials to express her ideas. 



 
Notice that the border has tucks and rows of stitching and couched yarns/ribbons - I don't know if she was attempting to make it look like wood, but it has that appearance to me. 
More quilts tomorrow. 
Posted by Picasa






3 comments:

Bev said...

Wow! Thanks Del for posting these pictures and the great commentary -- having lived in CA for 30 years these 3 pieces really make me homesick!!

looking forward to more postings on this show

Nancy said...

Del,

Thanks for the pictures. All three are wonderful. Wishing I had the kind of life which would allow me to travel to shows like this one. But then I'd never be in my own studio.

Such is life. Are you adding to your collection this weekend? Have lots of fun!

Nancy T.

Carol said...

wow! wish you had bought miss molly! is it still for sale?