Sunday, August 21, 2011

I-5 Eugene, OR to Chehalis, WA 08-21-11

Today was a travel day.  Just driving, watching the road, admiring the scenery (fabulous trees!) and figuring out how to get where I wanted to be.  On I-5 it is just a matter of going north, but then I got off in Portland and had to so some wandering around because it has been over fifty years since I lived here and I don't remember the order of all the streets.  I arrived at June Underwood's house at almost exactly 1pm, which is the time I had told her I might be there.  She thought I had planned to arrive 'on the dot', but it was just a fluke.  I got there when I got there.  June and Jer and I had a lovely visit over fruit, cheese and really great grain-filled bread toasted.  It was just what I needed and the best cantaloupe I have eaten in a long time - from the Farmer's Market.  I felt fortunate to see all the work that June has up on her walls and in her studio.  Currently she is devoting her time and talent to her painting rather than fiber.   I was sorely tempted to ask for prices, but I can only collect one thing and I decided back in the 80s that I would collect quilts.  And I'm sticking to it - no matter what the temptation.
Hotel decorators still seem to think in "quilt" terms.  This is the lobby carpet at the HolInnEx in Eugene.  I can't think of whose quilts it reminds me of, but it is very familiar.  And a HUGE improvement over most motel/hotel carpets - I always think they get the carpets really cheap because they are so ugly.

This is the carpet in the elevator - more quilty stuff.

I think this train graffiti says "Saint Bizar" (bizarre?).  Maybe some of you graffiti watchers know if this is a graffiti artist's name or ....?  Less than a block off the I-5 in Portland the traffic was stopped by this train moving excruciatingly slow.  In this area of the city I saw several signs warning that some trains do not have engineers and are controlled electronically.  Creeps me out!  I think this train had about 10,000 cars - there were not very interesting warehouses on either side of the street, so I read my book (I always have one handy).
 
When I left the Underwoods I headed for I-205 which goes to the east of the Portland airport and over the Columbia River.  Off to my right I had a few quick glimpses of Mt. Hood.  Further north I had very short sightings of Mt. Saint Helens and Mt. Rainer.  Now, if I can only get even a quick view of Mt. Baker north of Seattle my trip will be complete - "bagging" all five major peaks in one trip is a special Road Trip Event.
 
 
A weird observation as I drove into Washington State was how many red vehicles there were on the road.  At one point I counted nine within a short distance.  I couldn't resist taking this picture which probably makes sense only to me.  In the lower part there is a red car in the center lane and another just pulled in front of the black car on the left.  In the rear view mirror there are FOUR red vehicles - one on the far right and three directly behind me with the center one pulling out to pass.  Why so many red vehicles - is this a Washington "thing"?  I have noticed in the past how different states/areas seem to favor certain colors - where Corky lives in Long Beach white and silver predominate.  I wonder if anyone has ever written a thesis about this very important topic!

Tonight I am between Chehalis and Centralia and tomorrow night I will be north of Seattle near Mt. Vernon, WA.  Mabel has planned three days of quilt related events and then on Friday we will go to the APWQ (I think I have that right) QShow in Tacoma.  A busy time, but I will still Blog when I can.  By-the-way, the weather is gorgeous - 91F in Portland was a little warm, but somehow it didn't feel like 91F in Placentia.

Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

June said...

You must have gotten a second wind after you settled in -- here's a fine blog post. The trains going through that area of Portland are always 10,000 cars long, and they take their cue from slugs and move very very slowly. Good you had a book.

And re: red cars: we were startled by the white cars in the southwest US, but as someone said, with the sun that bright, you need to deflect it. I think the red is to counter the gray-lack-of-sun in our necks of the woods.

Glad you liked the paintings and glad you have such a fine focus on quilted art -- makes for great conversation. As does your reading while waiting for trains to pass:-) Have a great WA adventure.

Patricia said...

Your observations on red cars in Washington state made me laugh. We flew out there and rented a car at the airport in May. I was aghast when my husband agreed to the brilliant red sedan. Maybe all of the red cars are rentals.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Now I'll be on the lookout for red cars! I moved to Gig Harbor, WA, a few years ago from Illinois and hadn't noticed the trend. People do use a lot of red and yellow in their homes here to offset the gray outside. Have a great trip! I'll be at the APWQ show on Sunday.

Del said...

I'll be at APWQ on Friday, but don't think I will make it back there on Sunday. Saturday is ??
I suspect part of the red car business is indeed the weather. Red vehicles are also easier to see that grey/white/silver - especially in the rain.

Terry Grant said...

I'll be at APWQ on Friday as well. I'll look for you. I have a phone # for you and hope it is a cell phone. I'd love to get together there or here in Portland when you come back through.