Saturday, August 20, 2011

North on I-5 to Eugene, OR 08-20-11

I'm having a terrible time remembering what day of the week it is!  Guess it doesn't matter a lot as long as I am in Mt Vernon, WA, by Monday night.  It is an easy two day trip, but I do like to stop along the way.
This was the view about eleven this morning at almost the same spot I took yesterday's picture of Mount Shasta with her head in the clouds.  Whenever I am driving north and see Shasta, Hood, St. Helens, Rainer in their drapes of snow I remember one year when my sister and I were returning from a visit to G'mother in Los Angeles - we always rode the train because our mother and step dad both worked for the railroad.  On this trip there was a large tour group of couples from somewhere in the South.  They had traveled by train from  Atlanta or New Orleans across Texas/New Mexico/Arizona and had seen a lot of desert, but they had never in their lives seen a real mountain.  They all rushed to the east side of the sleeper car and we were afraid they would tip over the train!  They were just enthralled, while we were seasoned mountain connoisseurs and thought the tourists were just silly.  Of course, we had never been east of Boise, Idaho, so what did we know?  Anyway, I hope I will see all the mountains standing cloud free on this trip - it would be a first, I think!

Along the road (before I reached I-5) there were may flowers blooming.  I believe this is Oregon vetch.

Great thickets of wild blackberries grow everywhere in the Pacific Northwest - they are definitely not as sweet as the commercially grown berries, but with the addition of LOTS of sugar they make a fabulous rich jam.

Goldenrod is blooming everywhere.  Fortunately I am not allergic to it.

Teasels also grow everywhere.  These are just on the edge of a huge field full of the dried stalks.  I have always found it interesting that dried teasel 'heads' were once used commercially to brush up the nap on woven woolen blankets.  The best ones came from France - they were larger, more cylindrical and more durable than the native American teasel.

Here are all the flowers growing together and the field of teasels.

I stopped in Ashland for gas and to eat last evening's leftovers for lunch.  I pulled into a small parking lot shaded by huge old trees and this is the view I had across the street.  The clapboard house was hidden in all the foliage - a blooming mimosa tree in the corner of the picket fence and a towering Catalpa tree at the other end of the property.  Very charming, but on the busy main street through town.  Lots of traffic.

I also stopped at QUILTZ in downtown Ashland.  I had a hard time finding it as the address I had was their previous location.  I had to call twice to get better directions, but it was worth the trouble  - it is a very nice shop with lots of new "modern" fabrics, a nice selection of batiks and an assortment of notions, patterns and the necessary supplies for "art" quilts.  I was actually looking for a yellow Fabrico fabric marker  - they had the exact one I need.  Of course, I had to buy some fabric.  Not all of it is for my fabric library, I will donate some cuts to friends.  I also found a few purple items for the Purple raffle basket I am putting together for the Surfside QGuild November Fest.  A satisfying stop for me and for the cash register at QUILTZ!!

After I checked into the motel in Eugene I went looking for a recommended restaurant, the Cafe Soriah at 13th and Lawrence.  I had forgot that Eugene is the one-way street capitol of Oregon!  It took some searching, but the food was excellent.  I enjoyed the wild King salmon with saffron rice and a delectable kitchen-made mango chutney.  I know I have posted pictures of salmon dinners before and the presentation wasn't all that exciting, so I passed on taking a picture. 

Time to shower and hit the bed.  I am very tired tonight - driving is harder on me that it once was and I have to stop and walk around frequently or I can't get out of the car when I arrive at my destination.  My years create a heavy load, but I enjoy being out on the highways so much it makes the discomfort bearable.  Of course, Tylenol Arthritis every six hours is also useful.   
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Brenda Gael Smith said...

Your photo of Mt Shasta made me homesick for the Pacific Northwest. (I was an exchange student to Eastern Washington.) And the wild flowers are devine. Thanks for the trip downmemory lane.

Ruth Powers said...

Wow- two pics of Shasta in one day! Cindy and Gary are there swimming and sunning at the lake.

Sounds like you are having a good trip, wish I was there!!

Terry Grant said...

You are headed my way! Will I see you?

Loretta said...

I'll add QUILTZ to my list of must-sees on my next journey north! The photos are wonderful and your knowledge of the flora is impressive! I'm enjoying this journey with you! I look forward to tomorrow's adventure.

Cindy Cooksey said...

I enjoyed your photos. There is a potential quilt design in there somewhere!

Dolores said...

I love the quilt store in Ashland - glad you found it :) continue to enjoy and love your blog entries!! XX