Wednesday, October 19, 2011

PiQF 2011 10-18-11

The theme of PIQF this year was "Time", which explains why so many of the labels have references to time.  I've always found the themes rather ambiguous and I know people who use an existing quilt and weave the theme into the statement with some pretty vague language.  Personally, I would rather know why they chose the particular design or color or technique or.........! 

Zena Thorpe makes exquisite hand appliqued,h and embroidered and hand quilted quilts.  Each is a special treasure to which she devotes a great deal of time. 



Perhaps it was twenty years ago that Nancy Crow switched to her "free cutting" technique.  At that time I thought Ruth McDowell's piecing techniques were the "new bold" leader.  It took me to the end of the 90s to try out "free cutting" with any seriousness.  I like what Sylvia has done on this quilt - even the heavy border seems to work. 

I lightened this image to show the quilting lines better. 


This is quite a large piece and the winner of the Best of Show in the World Quilt Competition XV.   


 
Another machine quilting tour de force.  But at least the quilting is not at odds with the basic quilt design.

 
 

I don't know how much money I have spent on raffle quilt tickets and I have never won one.  So, five or six years ago I pretty much just gave up.  But this one really appeals to me.  And again, the quilting relates beautifully to the design of the piecing - it was quilted by Holly Casey of King City, CA.  The pattern is very much like Ruth McDowell's "Painted Daisy" design in her 1994 book "Symmetry: A Design System for Quiltmakers."   But not exactly.


Friends usually chide me for not including many traditional quilts when I take pictures at QShows, so I looked for what I think are good examples of what is being done today.  I think there were more traditional quilts this year, but Innovative Wall quilts were the largest category.

I find the quilting motif on the right side with little puffs and curls especially pleasing.

There are always lizards, geckos, iguanas, etc., in big shows, but there did seem to be an abundance at PIQF this year.  They are quite colorful and usually very nicely quilted with their warts and bumps.
 
I will continue with the PIQF pictures until I have shown them all.
Posted by Picasa


















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photography and attention to detail are wonderful. Your photos encourage me to look more carefully at these beautiful quilts. Thanks for sharing.

Franki said...

I'm so sorry I missed the show! Thank goodness you were there and share your photos. Thanks.