Sunday, October 16, 2011

PIQF 2011 10-16-11

I thought I would drive home today, but I was too tired from yesterday's marathon session at PIQF.  By the time I drive the (up to) 6 1/2 hours I get into the LA basin traffic which is stressful and I am tired from the drive.  It isn't wise to start out tired.  It was a day to rest and relax and visit and work on the computer.  I worked on the pictures I took of the current exhibit at Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove, but they are not for publication - just as a record for the artists in the group that is presenting "More Designing Minds."  If you are nearby you should try to stop by before November 9th and admire the quilts made by these talented women.
More quilts from PIQF:
This beautiful Baltimore Album style quilt is covered with BLING.  But it seems they don't show up in pictures - at least not the pictures I take.  Every year there is one new BIG thing and this year it was BLING on many of the quilts.



You see there are many dots on the appliqued pieces - those are mostly crystals that glitter in the light.  The blue ribbon bow at the bottom shows the crystals very prominently.  And you can see some on the quilted ecru background.



Here the fruits are dotted with crystals and the cornicopia outlined.  Very precise machine applique.
I tried this picture at an angle and the crystals show up a bit more - see the stars on the lower right.  But when seen in-the-fabric it is very flashy.



I don't find a website for Joan, but there are many references if you Google her name.
Gorgeous color - my picture doesn't do it justice  I took four pictures, including one with a flash, but they all showed different color values.  I think this is the most accurate of the four. 

This year I only saw this one quilt that identified Ruth B. McDowell as the designer.  Several other quilts appear to use her piecing technique, but they were not her designs.  This quiltmaker used a clever 'correction' when the quilt was not the correct size. 




It isn't indicated on the label, but this quilt is made with both cotton and wool.  I took the image below to show the very nice wool applique flowers.  There is a very different look to quilts using wool since wool doesn't reflect the light, making the color seem richer and more dense. 







Nice shading on this piece.  Notice the unusual edge finish - a loopy trim. 







I never pay much attention to prizes because I usually don't agree with the judges!  At PIQF the big prize winners are groups in several sections and it is difficult to get good pictures with all the people straining to get a look.  This is the first year I have seen a display of photos of the Best of Show winners - great idea.  I remember when.................!






Ruth Powers had only one quilt in PIQF 2011, but it is a powerful one.  Several years ago on a teaching trip she saw this longhorn steer jumping a creek and eventually made this quilt based on that sighting. 

Wonderful image of fog along an Oregon headland.  And look at this charming little gal trying to sneak up on a seagull.  I don't quite understand the white flange, but perhaps it is supposed to resemble a frame.
More quilts - most of which I did not photograph - http://piecedgoods.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/2534/
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Will blogger let you insert a Picasa slide show?