Sunday, April 29, 2012

Geri Congdon 12X12 quilt in TCQC 04-29-12

Here is the tenth of the 12x12 gift quilts, made by members of the online group to thank me for sponsoring their Quilt Festival exhibit at Houston/Cincinnati/Long Beach.
www.twelveby12.org

"California Poppies"  Geri Congdon  2011  12" x 12"
Silk and cotton, machine appliqued, machine quilted.
Geri and I met years ago at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar/Pacific Grove.  At that time she lived in California, so we share a love of these native flowers that bloom along the roadsides and are cultivated in gardens.   Her selection of this flower was very thoughtful.
 
The back is a commercial fabric and she has not covered the quilting with a false back - something I especially appreciate.  I don't quite understand why quiltmakers do this instead of just doing good work. 
 
Here is Geri's signature, but no label, no indication of how to contact the artist. Of course, I know how to contact Geri, but a label with a contact is really a necessity.  Now that the 12x12 quilts are back from Visions Art Museum I will add labels where they are needed.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

I love California Poppies and I love this little quilt. I would not have recognized it as Gerrie's.

Gerrie said...

Oh, my bad!! I am so happy that you appreciated the CA poppies. I have taken to signing my small quilts and I will for sure start adding contact information.