Monday, December 10, 2012

Pamela Allen quilt new to TCQC 12-10-12

Sorry I missed last night's post.  I spent the day doing docent duty at Visions Art Museum, showing people around the "Brainstorms" exhibit.  I hope you all will have a chance to see this fascinating collection of art quilts.  I'll talk more about them some other day. 

Here are newly acquired quilts from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection.  I bought them online at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles online sale last month.  I am showing them together because I plan to hang (and show) them together as a diptych. 

 
"The Right Side of the Tracks" Pamela Allen - Canada  2012 12"W x 11.5"L
Cotton fabrics, cotton threads.  Hand applique, hand quilting.
 
 
"The Right Side of the Tracks II"  Pamela Allen - Canada  2012  12"W x 11.5"L
Cotton fabrics, cotton threads. Hand applique, hand quilting.
 
 
And this is the way they will hang.
 

Look at that even background stitching, it doesn't go through to the backing.  I am always amazed at the creativity that Pamela puts into her quilts - lots of imaginative stitching using different threads and various colors of threads.  The eye image is one of many that Pamela has printed on fabric and integrates into her work.
 
 
Pamela doesn't use fusibles, but holds the applique fabrics down with hand stitching. 
 
 
Stitches and more stitches - so much texture.
 
 
A wonderful, whimsical label with all the information a buyer could need.
 
 
Nice backs, nice sleeves. 
 
I'd love to have another class with Pamela.  Since she can't teach in the US again I hope she will let us know where she is teaching in Canada.  I drive up there!! 
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

Mrs. Sew and Sew - Karen said...

I bet a class with Pamela would be awesome! Love your auction purchases!

Stitchinfool said...

Why can't Pamela teach in the US anymore?

Terri Stegmiller said...

I've always been a Pam fan and this little duo is so sweet. I'd love to take a class with her. I do have her DVD, but in person would really be great.

Wil said...

I know it is not the same as in real life, but Pam teaches on line as well.

Unknown said...

and her online classes are great...but you really have to clear the board to concentrate on them! LOTS to do....in a good way, but I felt I wasn't able to devote the time to it as I needed to....but hers was the first on-line course I took and I learned tons.

I keep on wondering if she's going to do another with houses on the wrong side of the track???? ;)

Marie Drozdis said...

Pamela Allen is one of my favorite artists. She's in a class all her own. Her quilts are so much more striking when you are able to see them in person. A picture doesn't do them justice, IMHO.

Loretta said...

These little quilts are just so special. I love Pam's work, whimsical, artistic, very special sewing. Her work is wonderful. I too learned to see and think a little differently after taking her online workshop. If we're not able to attend in person, online works very nicely. Thank you Del for sharing.

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Lucky Del to have two quilts by Pamela-la! I have taken six of her online classes, and can heartily recommend them. I have learned much about art and art history through her lessons. And her online "tweaking" and critiques can't be beat!

Happy New Year to you!