Thursday, May 23, 2013

Friday Feetless 05-23-13

I didn't do as well as I hoped today - only 475 miles.  I'm not beating myself up about it because the delays were varied.  Although the day dawned clear and bright, by the time I reached St. Louis it started to rain - very fine at first but then I topped a rise in the roadway and looked into what I thought at first was a fog bank.  No.  It was a downpour.  And so it continued most of the afternoon - light, heavy, stopped.  But the biggest delay was miles and miles and miles of construction.  An early sign read "Construction work ahead - 33 miles". I thought it odd that they would post the sign so far ahead - NO, they mean 33 miles of construction. The next sign said "Road Work 2 miles ahead" and soon thereafter I-70 narrowed to one lane each direction and stopped - it took about 45 minutes to go just a few miles. The construction was not continuous, but close enough. I spent a total of about an hour and three quarters just sitting in traffic backed up in one lane going east. Very frustrating.  Tonight I am on the east side of Indianapolis at HIE-East.  It is 250 miles to Athens, OH, so maybe 4-1/2 hours barring construction and heavy rain/wind.  Cross your fingers for me!

 
I saw the first roadside Starbuck's sign I'd seen in days and turned off at Creve Coeur, MO, to find it and indulge myself.  It is surely one of the most elegant Starbuck's I have seen and I have seen quite a few.  I think it was originally a bank branch buildin, or something similar, with high ceilings, elaborate brick work and some elegant ceiling lights.  In the curved area by the outside door this young college student was ensconced backward in her chair.  She makes such a lyric line with her body and the blue w/white polka dot blouse is perfect.  I wanted to tell her how great she looked, but maybe she was sitting like this so nobody would bother her.  "I vant to be alone" - like Greta Garbo! 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Dolores said...

Life is what happens while we're making other plans :) enjoy your events in Ohio!! XX