Thursday, May 9, 2013

Things that seem odd to me. 05-09-13

When I travel I take pictures of all sorts of things.  Some are to illustrate, some are to record, some are to inspire, but some are just of odd things I see. 

 
In Bakersfield there is a traffic island that is paved with red "bricks".  I was stopped in the left turn lane and realized that they had extended the "bricks all the way to the intersection.  Why?
 

When I was loading my car at the motel in Santa Nella this stray cat was checking out the underside of the truck parked next to me.  He stayed there for a long time.
 

The only thing I could think of was that the truck had run over something that the cat was investigating for a meal.  eeeew!  I don't know how to spell that!
 

When one takes a ferry in Washington State they make sure you understand there is
NO SMOKING.
 
 
Far out on a lonely road on Whidbey Island this property owner has decorated his yard with metal sculptures.  Not a lot of traffic out there, no other cars but mine, so I guess they just enjoy having the sculptures to look at themselves.
 

Nothing odd about this pay phone in Coupeville near the waterfront.  Except that pay phones are few and far between since the advent of cell phones. 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love your sense of humor!!

Diane Perin said...

Del, thanks for your lovely comment on my blog -- and I wanted to tell you how much I love your travelogue entries! I so admire how willing you are to jump into your car and go, and enjoy everything you see along the way. You convey such a lovely appreciation of the beauty around you in the simplest of thing, and I love what you notice. You're a great inspiration on a lot of levels!

Quiltedtime said...

Bahaha! We like our fake bricks in Bakersfield.

Diane said...

Something tells me those "bricks" are stamped concrete colored to add a decorative touch to the median. It's a nice touch, and it got your attention, so it's working. ;-) Diane