Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Dinner at Ikiru, again. 08-06-13

I have held off on posting this wonderful dinner (07-25-13)  at Ikiru in San Diego, in the same complex as Visions Art Museum.  San Diego has been very busy the last month with several large conventions and special events. Crowded.  I know you are going to want to run down there immediately to duplicate this deliciousness for yourself.  It is an excellent restaurant and the fish is very, very fresh. 

 
Beth ordered the crunchy shrimp roll which is covered with white crunchy stuff - sort of like Panko.   We have enjoyed it in the past and will continue to enjoy it - such a treat.
 

I tried something new which was not only delicious, but beautiful.  That is one thing that I enjoy at good sushi restaurants - it is like eating art!  This is the protein roll.  On the inside are: tuna, tai, salmon, hamachi, crabstick, avocado, kaiware, soy paper. On the outside: cucumber wrap, ponzu sauce.
 

The cucumber on the outside is about 1/8" thick and just underneath is the soy paper - it doesn't seem to have a taste, but adds an interesting texture.
 
Here I have eaten it down to the last piece which looks like an exotic flower.
Contents of the protein roll:  tuna, salmon, avocado, carrots, cucumber, tai, crabstick, hamachi, kaiware, soy paper, ponzu.
tai = tai snapper (Pagrus major), a species of reddish-brown Pacific sea bream
crabstick,= Alaska pollock is commonly the main ingredient, often mixed with egg white (albumen) Contains no crab.
hamachi = Japanese amberjack or buri commonly used in sushi
kaiware = Daikon radish sprouts
soy paper = (called "yuba", "tofu skin" or "soybean skin") a thin film derived from soybeans
ponzu = soy sauce blended with Japanese Citrus and salt.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

linda said...

love the crockery (why does it seem culturally wrong to call beautiful Japanese plates, cups, bowls & dishes "crockery"?)

Loretta said...

My oh my! Ikiru is added to my Must Do Before I Go List! Thank you.

Quiltedtime said...

Awesome! I love eating artful food as well. Thanks for sharing.

Rayna said...

What gorgeous food! Hope I can get there when I am teaching in San Diego next year. YOu always take the BEST food pictures:-). Makes me hungry just to read your blog.
xx.

Anonymous said...

Your pictures are so delicious I could lick the computer screen. How thoughtful to provide the translations. I wanna go--right now!

Vivian Helena said...

I am hungry now... Would not know how to even begin to eat that, I see the chop sticks and do use them, BUT.
I would probably wear that beautiful food.