Monday, August 5, 2013

Quilt Festival - LBeach '13 08-05-13

I'm still house bound - taking pills, using an inhaler, drinking plenty of fluids, sleeping a lot.   I plan to repeat this for the next few days to be sure that I am really over it before I resume my "normal" life.  Fortunately I have adequate groceries, books yet to read, and, as is to be expected, piles and piles of unfinished projects and paperwork.  I'd like to be able to go to VAM in San Diego to a special program they are offering on Saturday.
  http://visionsartmuseum.org/calendar-dtl.asp?calID=146

Below are all the pictures I took at Long Beach.  As usual, I look at quilts and then go back to photograph, but that didn't work for me this year.  I only looked at maybe half the quilts and developed this bronchial thing so couldn't go back to take pictures.  Bummer!


Betty Busby is so talented, she covers so many techniques and styles it is always a surprise and a delight to see her work.  For some years I thought there were two Betty Busby's.  The work that I saw was so varied that I was continually surprised - still am!
 
This quilt has such gentleness and grace, it made me stop, admire, and photograph, even though I was just walking through the exhibit area en route to somewhere else.
   

There is love there.

On the same walk through I came to this wall of quilts which I found appealing and stopped to look, read and photograph.  The two on the right are by two of my favorite artists and the one on the left is a pattern I have thought about making for many years. 




 

Just the name "Endless Chain" is intriguing.  As a child visiting the quilting ladies at the Grange I thought it was "Endless Change" because the Grange ladies made only scrap quilts and the scraps were endlessly changing.  The colors here appeal to me and make me smile.
 
 

Bodil's work is so distinctive - always colorful and filled with fun bits that one must search to discover - the little sheep roaming the hills, the tiny mug on the ground.  She is represented in Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection and I always hope to add another of her works.  The words written in the border are:   "I arise from dreams of thee in the first sweet sleep of night when the winds are blowing low and the stars are shining bright."

Every edge is applied with zig-zag stitching.
 
 
This dear little guy was created by Ruth Powers who makes realistic images, but with the feeling of a painting rather than a photograph.  Look at the wonderful "cloudy" background made of soft flowers and the graceful leaves with their quilted veins.  She has a good eye for color and chooses her fabric prints carefully.  And notice the FMQ on the background - Ruth is a pro on a home machine. 
Posted by Picasa

No comments: